Thread: Postal workers strike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Postal workers strike

There are strikes all over the place, and a lot of them don't seem to be getting much news coverage.

I went into the post office asking if there was a problem with the post because I haven't received my telephone accounts (or anything else other than flyers for the last week or so). The postal workers are on strike!

I guess when someone says the cheque is in the mail, for the meantime it might even be true.

Thanks

Post office strike

Back in the "old" days, I understand that postal services were considered "essential" services and the workers were not allowed to strike.

O tempora, o mores! [Cicero would not be pleased]

But here's a thought: is this not a business opportunity for someone to start up a service that "distributes" mail, something in between the post office [relatively cheap but notoriously unreliable] and the couriers [expensive but relatively reliable]? There is Docex but the problem with docex is that has been known to be unreliable, it is expensive and only connects a relatively small segment of the economy.

Sieg

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    Back in the "old" days, I understand that postal services were considered "essential" services
    Before internet (and perhaps fax) that makes sense. How else would you get the message through? Cleft stick?

Funny thing about Docex - I think it's now owned by the post office. And not that expensive if you see it as a door-to-door service (and you use it enough ). I know it certainly saves me money compared to hand delivery using staff like we used to do it. And it has proved reliable so far.

What happened to Postnet's grand plans?

Email problem
    Thanks
    can somebody tell me what is happening about public workers salary increament for this year, if you have an answer Dave please tell me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've no idea, but based on previous experience I'd guess they can all expect 10% +

Anyone else know?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, who'd have guessed?
    South African Revenue Service (Sars) workers plan to strike early next month after wage talks reached an impasse, the Public Servants' Association (PSA) said on Thursday.

PSA deputy general manager Manie de Clercq said the union notified Sars on Thursday of its intention to down tools after the tax collector refused to budge on a 7% across-the-board wage increase.

The PSA is demanding a 12,8% pay hike.

"Strike action by Sars employees will dramatically impact on the effective gathering of income for the state and even international trade, as customs officers will form an integral part of the imminent action," De Clercq said in a statement.

"Sars employees have a track record of sustained service delivery under difficult circumstances and the fact that their employer is offering only 7%, which is far less than the 13% settlement reached in the local government sector, has infuriated them," he said.
    full story from M&G here
    And still no sign of mail in the post box yet

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I finally got some mail today. Clearly not all of it, but I suppose it'll take a few days to clear the backlog.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is true that electronic mediums are taking over and normal post mail is just slow. However any good businessman will tell you how important paperwork really is especially when it comes to “original contracts” But again our post-office is really a big mess right now and I do not conceder them as an asset.