I was relieved to have received an article regarding renewing car licences at selected Post Offices.

I recently received my renewal notice from the department of Roads and Transport, I called the SA Post Office call centre on 012 401 7902, they advised me that as long as I have the renewal notice and my ID I will get my car licence straight away. I am going to test this new service out next week and I’ll post an update of my experience.

Below is the article for more information:

Gauteng motorists can now renew their motor vehicle licenses at selected Post Offices in the province. This partnership between the Gauteng Department of Roads and Transport and the Post Office is an effort to take the services to the people while improving service delivery to communities.

Motorists must produce a printed renewal notice and an ID book to renew a motor vehicle license. If they do not have a renewal notice, motorists can complete the relevant documentation for the license to be processed.

This initiative is in phase one; phase two will culminate into the expansion of other National Road Traffic Act services.

Among others, the Government in partnership with the Post Office is rendering payment services for social grants, water and electricity bills for more than 100 municipalities.

Ndala Mnisi, head of Consumer Services at the Post Office, said at the pre-launch ceremony that the Post Office constantly develops new services to meet the connectivity needs of the nation. “The Post Office partners with government to provide services such as this,” said Mnisi.

“We are delighted to partner with the Post Office to facilitate the payment and issuing of motor vehicle licenses,” said Gauteng MEC for Roads and Transport, Mr Bheki Nkosi. He added “with longer operating hours, opening on Saturday and some of them on Sundays, located within the communities and shopping malls, the Post Office becomes a strategic partner to the Department in ensuring accessibility of services. Motorists can now conveniently pay their motor vehicle licenses and municipal bills at the Post Office at the same time.” Motorists who renew licenses at a post office immediately receive a valid license disk and receipt.