Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Software development process

Email problem
    Thanks

QUOTE=twinscythe12332

Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    I'm doing a course on IT project and quality management through CTI for my BSc, so anything to do with real-life examples of it intrigue me ^^

as for the ISO vs CMMI side, I thought it might be something like that. effectively the goal for someone going through ISO is to say "ISO xxxx(I believe there are seperate categories depending on what you are doing) compliant" whereas you would be looking more at saying "was developed using a CMMI approach"
    You are right with the ISO statement, however an organisation that has reach a maturity level will say we are CMMI level 1,2,3,4 or 5.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread is so full of useful information I'd like to move it into a public area and rename it. Suggestions as to the appropriate forum and a new thread title invited (please).

Thanks
    'software development processes' under the it forum?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Dave, I have to agree with Marg, 'Software Development Processes' under the IT forum is perfect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Genevie Vince View Post
    You are right with the ISO statement, however an organisation that has reach a maturity level will say we are CMMI level 1,2,3,4 or 5.
    found a mapping for ISO vs CMMI as well.

Read here.

it's kind of interesting when someone does a comparison like that.

apologies if I'm asking questions that are available somewhere, I just didn't see them on the CMMI site, but how do the maturity levels differ? would those be levels of CMMI integration into business practices? and if that is the case, isn't that a slightly different way of saying "Compliant"?

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (19-Aug-09)

Email problem
    Thanks

CMMI Levels

Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    found a mapping for ISO vs CMMI as well.

Read here.

it's kind of interesting when someone does a comparison like that.

apologies if I'm asking questions that are available somewhere, I just didn't see them on the CMMI site, but how do the maturity levels differ? would those be levels of CMMI integration into business practices? and if that is the case, isn't that a slightly different way of saying "Compliant"?

Thank you very much for the link you have sent. It is very informative!

You really don’t have to apologise, it is always nice to add extra information where possible.

To understand the levels, you need to know that CMMI has two representations
    1. Staged Representation
    2. Continuous Representation
    The decision to choose one or the other depends on the goals of the organisation.

Staged Representation uses maturity levels to measure process improvement, there are 5 maturity levels. It will provide a sequence of improvements, beginning with basic management practices and progressing through a predefined and path of successive levels, each serving a foundation for the next.
    Maturity levels are as follows:
    ML1: Initial - This is typically ad hoc and chaotic. ML1 has no process areas
    ML2: Managed - An organisation has achieved all of the goals of the ML2 process areas. ML2 has 7 Process areas
    ML3: Defined - An organisation has achieved all of the goals of the ML2 and ML3 process areas. ML3 has 11 process areas
    ML4: Quantitatively Managed - Processes achieved are controlled using statistical and other quantitative techniques. ML4 has 2 process areas
    ML:5 Optimising – All the process areas are achieved. ML5 focuses on continually improving process performance

Continuous Representation uses capability levels to measure process improvement, there are 6 capability levels. The organisation can select the order of improvement that best meets the organisation’s business objectives.
    Capability levels are as follows:
    0 Incomplete
    1 Performed
    2 Managed
    3 Defined
    4 Quantitatively Managed
    5 Optimising

Both representations are designed to offer essentially equivalent results, most organisations choose the stage representation.

Not all the CMMI levels integrate into the business practices, CMMI will show the business what is working and what is not, it helps align business goals and IT goals.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (19-Aug-09)

Email problem
    Thanks

CMMI Levels Cont.

Here I have attached an image of the stage represenation maturity levels.

Maturity Levels:
    Maturity levels consist of a predefined set of process areas. The maturity levels are measured by the achievement of the specific and generic goals that apply to each predefined set of process areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMMI Staged Maturity Levels.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	897  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Idle thought occured -

Typically, is software development considered a project or an organisation?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Idle thought occured -

Typically, is software development considered a project or an organisation?
    Software development can be considered to be a project and an organisation:

As an example, a banking institute will have multiple software development projects actively running, however they are not considered to be a Software Development organisation.
    The other example is an organisation that solely does software development with multiple software development projects actively running can be considered to be a Software Development organisation.

Thanks
    I dont know about organisation but I can tell you about the process and projects.....for eg..here is a typical Software Development Cycle.

1. Programmer produces code he believes is bug-free.
    2. Product is tested. 20 bugs are found.
    3. Programmer fixes 10 of the bugs and explains to the testing department that the other 10 aren't really bugs.
    4. Testing department finds that five of the fixes didn't work and discovers 15 new bugs.
    5. Repeat three times steps 3 and 4.
    6. Due to marketing pressure and an extremely premature product announcement based on overly-optimistic programming schedule, the product is released.
    7. Users find 137 new bugs.
    8. Original programmer, having cashed his royalty check, is nowhere to be found.
    9. Newly-assembled programming team fixes almost all of the 137 bugs, but introduce 456 new ones.
    10. Original programmer sends underpaid testing department a postcard from Fiji. Entire testing department quits.
    11. Company is bought in a hostile takeover by competitor using profits from their latest release, which had 783 bugs.
    12. New CEO is brought in by board of directors. He hires a programmer to redo program from scratch.
    13. Programmer produces code he believes is bug-free…
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

13. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (21-Aug-09), Genevie Vince (21-Aug-09), Yvonne (24-Aug-09)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast