Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SIM card activation enema!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fact is your Identity is everything. I understand that you get people that use the net without anonymity but you do get those that like to be private. There are a number of honest reasons why people would rather not be identified and I feel it was there right. But now you are basically entering the “Big Brother” era and it is scary. Why do they have to know everything?

Yes there is a criminal element but again not everyone is criminals. But now we are basically treated as criminals regardless, and that is scary to me. So yes if you feel this registration thing is not for your benefit then I recommend you unplug. I do not blame you... it is unnerving. But again not everyone feels that way this is also true. Basically it comes down to you as a person.

Also do you really want something that has the capability to spy on your life to be with you? These are important questions. I honestly don’t think you are “weird” if you do ask these questions.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well the warning signs were always there. Yes there are talks in the UK to suspend internet users if they download copyrighted films and music. Well basically they proposals are in place and this may become a law in less than a year.

All of this in the name of piracy? I am actually disgusted, because they want to act in the name of piracy! What the hell is wrong with this picture? Fact is there are more alarming crimes happening on the net that deserves attention...

Full story here :http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ownloaders-law.

Thanks
    For me the following rules apply

if you have an office ADSL/WIFI would be first choice as you pay about 8cent per meg and you can pay use the line to access local website like banking if you chow your bandwidth.

I you need it at home you can ask telkom to install it(they charge you a monthly fee for this and ensure you tell them you have your own ISP(this fee is higher for busines).Use the same business account user name and pin for your connection at home.

if you need mobility get 3 g but buy at least 3 gig so that you can pay a lower per meg pricing(if you need it occational buy pay as you go and top up small amounts).

History has proven that A fixed line is the most reliable and cheapest.

Thanks
    It might be better to go contract.
    Or for that matter just get the sim and
    continue using your current cell.
    Just like you would have done with PAYG

Only problem is the sim is R 209 and not R 5
    like the one you buy on street corners etc.

Other than that it is R 19 per month and you get R 50 airtime.
    Or R 99 per month for R 200 airtime.

http://www.mtnsp.co.za/shop/RetailSp...uownphone.aspx
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    I have a question regarding this whole RICA affair, or rather the use of it when it comes to foreigners.

But i'm beating myself to the question. If i were to "borrow without permission on a permanent basis" someones phone, and go to ghana or some other country, would that phone be able to work there once it is blacklisted in SA?

I'm not sure but i remember a long waaaaaay back there was a news report about a truck full of cellphones that was apprehended before it could cross the border.

Rica might make the whole process overly complicated.

Honest joe's cell has been stolen by dick from nigeria who is already halfway back there.
    Now what will joe's personal info (place of residence, ID etc) be of use?

I dunno, this all on the assumption that i'm right that the phone is only blacklisted locally.

Anyone know if it is or not??
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Also:

Dick from nigeria has registered is newly bought sim with rica but his one week cell special is at an end and heads with the whole lot of phones back to nigeria. Not only will honest joe's info be of no use, neither will Dick's. So they have his passport, but how will they figure out the Dick was the one who stole the phones?

A slight possibility would be if dick forced joe to hand over the phone. But that's pointless since joe's wife has her cell in her handbag that is hanging on her chair and it would be the safer option. Might get a bit of loot with the cell.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well if anything, I don’t get it myself. I friend of mine was robbed by two men in the early hours of the morning. Well to make a long story short RICA is useless. That phone is gone and the criminal is using it for whatever evil he can. Fact is RICA is and always was BS.

Criminals are still stealing phones and getting away with it so I have to question motive from RICA’s side. Secondly is the info. To store all those SMS’s MMS’s and downloads is going to take some digital-space! With millions of South Africans the fact is that there mobile is there everything and I just don’t get it. How do you buffer and store millions of SMS’s MMS’ and downloads in real-time without effecting speed? “Not to mention the thing I hate the most “please call me’s” now that is useless info!

In short I don’t think criminals have to fear RICA, I honestly can say it is not working right now because as you have pointed out the phones don’t get recovered!

Thanks
    what was the cutoff date for registering again?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    what was the cutoff date for registering again?
    We have 18 months from the date it started (1st july 2009) to register for this useless service. January 2011 Is the cuttoff date.

Thanks
    Just one more thing bugging me:
    I've read that if you live on tribal land a letter from your tribal chief would do.

Whats to stop a lot of fictional tribal chiefs from appearing all of a sudden?

Don't like the idea that they get to know so much about me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast