Thread: Flat Rewire

Thanks

Flat Rewire

Hello
    I want to rewire a 2bedroom flat and was wondering what would it cost. Will get a domestic electrician to give me a quote a bit later. Trouble is there is no ceiling only concrete roof with probably a small space for wiring, not sure. The existing wiring has started to make a green type of paste so i take that as a sign that the insulation is breaking down and also there is no earth leakage. Come to think of i should get it done or do it myself asap. Any tips or things to look out for. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had a quick look at prices we've given for rewires in flats. There are so many variables it's hard to even give a ballpark figure. Add your location and any attempt I'd make would probably just lead you astray.

All I can suggest is unless you're a qualified electrician, don't try to do this yourself. We've had a few experiences where we've been called in to rescue a botched DIY job (and some where the electrician turned out not to be an electrician after all) - most times we have to start from scratch all over again.

Thanks
    Ok thanks for the reply. I am an apprentice at this stage but also have no domestic experience, so maybe trying it my self would be a bit of a gamble. The location of the flat is in PE. What kind of variables could increase the price of this job????

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Flush vs surface mounting is a big factor. Trying to re-use the existing conduit and boxes isn't always an option.

Once you've identified what has to be surface mounted, then there are routing issues to try to reduce the visible impact.

It all adds to labour and material.

Suspended
    Thanks
    just because green paste is coming out the wire doesnt mean it needs to be rewired...have you done an inspection report which would include a visual and electrical test to verifiy if the wiring has a low insulation resistance?

have you checked the earth continuity to verify that you still have an earth if the piping is used as the earthing system...this is just the tip of the ice berg...you must remember something if you dont know what you are doing and you alter the electrical installation in anyway...you become liable for an injuries to persons or animals on the property...

if the pipes are rusted and the wires are tight you in for a long haul...if not it should be a simple job which would take about 2 - 3 days to complete if you know what you are doing.

if it has an old box type DB...fit a surface mount extention tray over the DB and extend the wires...or fit a surface DB next to the exsisting one and fit an e/l unit...make sure you test the house and the appliances otherwise you will be back and forward trying to explain why now suddenly the customer has to replace stove plates...kettles...washing machines...tumble driers etc because they have low resistance and keep tripping the earth leakage.

Thanks

Smile

You have received sound advice, I want to reiterate that just because there is green paste does not mean you have to rewire. That is caused by a miniscule earth fault. An ELCB being installed could have you sitting with no power and a search for the leakage. You need to check your insullation readings to determine whether or not you need to rewire. A 2bed flat in PE could rewire for between R5 000 and R 20 000 depending on what is required. The major cost could be, as you have already been advised, the labour.