Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: energy saving ideas

Suspended
    Thanks

energy saving ideas

dave this has become a big topic...like load shedding.

why not start a thread for this and people can input thoughts and ideas

ways to t save not only electricity but energy.

examples:

most common one lately is to switch off tv...PC or electrionic devices.

motion sensors for lighting
    especially in huge parking lots where i have heard lots of people complaining about shopping centres which leave huge amounts of lighting burning all night

reducing light levels for example in a conference room if you only need 100 lux dim them to the correct level...and fit motion sensors so when nobody is in the room the light will auto matically switch off.
    another place i found this an issue is in large commercial and office blocks...you go into the changeroom/toilet they have like 20 lights at about 500 lux so you can have a widdle...mate its not that small that i need to find it

a/c unit pumping all day long in office blocks and shops with no air curtains so the cold air just pumps out the front door...windows left open

only running your pool pump and other non essential items during off peak periods

after boiling the kettle put the water in a flask to keep it hot for later use.

all those little things which where requested during load shedding and more

it just goes on and on.

the most important thing about energy saving is you need to commit so that it becomes a lfe style like going to gym every second day eating the correct food etc

lets hear your views.

and like anything there are all the energy saving experts out there who promise to fit devises to save you millions like power factor correction units domestic ones now nogal...beware...makes sure you understand what you are fitting otherwise it becomes like the exercise bike or the tread mill standing in the garage or up for sale at cash convertors for less than a 10 th of the price you paid for it.

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (31-Jul-09), desA (08-May-10)

Suspended
    Thanks
    power factor correction units.

they are expensive...an example to replace one 50 kvar 440 volt unit capacitor could cost you nearly R5000 per unit to replace.

they do not always save you money....the installation and maintenance cost sometime out weighs the return on investment.

in this country you dont get penalties for low Power factor.

you need an expert to advise you on these units and do at least a 30 day recording at 15 - 30 intervals or a minimum of a bussiness cycle.

sometime there is electronic metering on site so information can be downloaded from the meter if the person has the correct equipment

harmonics sometimes effect PFC units negatively.

Suspended
    Thanks
    the next step is lighting...

do you fit a t8 or t5 or an LED

new technology is great...lighting is becoming as technical as power quality analysing.

in the old days the standard was to fit 400 watt high bay fitting in your factory to give you the best light...mounted at the correct height above 6 metres above finished floor level...a good example of a really bad application is a company in pintown where the light are installed too low...they look good but thats all they do...they generate alot of heat so i feel for the people who work under them and they waste energy because if installed correctly could have reduced the quantity...now if the person who designed the installation had used his head he would have rather used t5 fittings...

the application...the building frame is low.
    they dont get hot because they have electronic ballast... not wire wound and they dont flicker when they start...they start instanaeously.
    the lamps have built in reflectors...so they light is not wasted in the black hole above the fittings.
    they consume a minimul amount of electricity.

the only down fall is they generate harmonics if the correct filter are not used and they contain small amount of mercury which becomes a problem when disposing of them...especially large quanitites...for example if you do a lamping exercise where you replace all the lamps after a 5 year period...to improve overall lighting.

Led are becoming the way of the future...phillips has a 7 watt led lamps which they offer about 45000 hrs of lamp life to replace the old 12 volt downlights...i have been spending some time looking into these lamps because in a building which has lets say 500 12voltx 50 watt downlights = 25000 watts...you can save a by installing 7 watt units = 3500 watts and the beuty is you scrap the 12 volt transformer which in turn reduces heat...and maintence costs.

5. Thank given for this post:

Converter (04-May-10), desA (08-May-10), Jacques#1 (06-May-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've had a few clients asking for a quote to retrofit with LED light fittings - certainly seems to be gaining momentum, although at this point budget constraints are an issue.

Suspended
    Thanks
    something else which makes an impact on energy saving is shading around the building.

the less heat on the windows the less the A/C unit has to pump to keep the office cool.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    We've had a few clients asking for a quote to retrofit with LED light fittings - certainly seems to be gaining momentum, although at this point budget constraints are an issue.
    there are certain points which need to be noted before rushing out and fitting led lamps...the luminars compared to a 12 v x 50 watt are marginal...so you could find yourself with a dark room in comparison if not designed correctly...oops i made this error a couple of years ago when i installed 12v 50 watt lamps...i didnt take into consideration the height of the room...it was like going into a cave...the atmosphere was great but not adequate for an office enviroment yeah yeah i know some people think i am a know it all but believe me i make lots of mistakes and get chopped off at the knees often...but i live and learn

Led are not dimmerable at this point in time...i know the next batch of LED from phillips will be...i also dont know at this point if the conventional dimmer will work with the new LED lamps you might need to replace the dimmer currently installed...still new to us.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    the next step is lighting...

do you fit a t8 or t5 or an LED

new technology is great...lighting is becoming as technical as power quality analysing.

in the old days the standard was to fit 400 watt high bay fitting in your factory to give you the best light...mounted at the correct height above 6 metres above finished floor level...a good example of a really bad application is a company in pintown where the light are installed too low...they look good but thats all they do...they generate alot of heat so i feel for the people who work under them and they waste energy because if installed correctly could have reduced the quantity...now if the person who designed the installation had used his head he would have rather used t5 fittings...

the application...the building frame is low.
    they dont get hot because they have electronic ballast... not wire wound and they dont flicker when they start...they start instanaeously.
    the lamps have built in reflectors...so they light is not wasted in the black hole above the fittings.
    they consume a minimul amount of electricity.

the only down fall is they generate harmonics if the correct filter are not used and they contain small amount of mercury which becomes a problem when disposing of them...especially large quanitites...for example if you do a lamping exercise where you replace all the lamps after a 5 year period...to improve overall lighting.

Led are becoming the way of the future...phillips has a 7 watt led lamps which they offer about 45000 hrs of lamp life to replace the old 12 volt downlights...i have been spending some time looking into these lamps because in a building which has lets say 500 12voltx 50 watt downlights = 25000 watts...you can save a by installing 7 watt units = 3500 watts and the beuty is you scrap the 12 volt transformer which in turn reduces heat...and maintence costs.
    I am selling a retrofit solution that converts a T8 fitting to a T5 fitting manufactured by Hyundai. It saves 50% on electricity and has very low mercury content but puts out 30% more light. My site is www.conversionlighting.com. regards,
    Steve.
    Last edited by Dave A; 04-May-10 at 07:59 PM.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    There are newer more powerfull LED lights on the market. High powered LED's. The amount of light emitted as aposed to the original LED's that you still buy in a Builders or wherever is day and night. The problem with this technology as all technology in the beginning of its cycle is expense/price. Why pay r300+ for one high powered LED if a 50WGU10 costs R20? Your payback from electricity and lifecycle is non existent looking at the short term, and long term technology gets cheaper.......

I used the low powered LED's in a house with 50Watt gu10's in the centre of the room. The people have small children, and they walk around at night, so the low powered LED's @ 8 of them, 1.8Watts they can leave on every night forever (almost), and gives you a beautifull light and is functional if the children walks around, and offers good security since you can see the SOB standing on the other side of the room. If they need light in the room, they switch on the 50W x 8gu10 for the time needed....
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I went to the Danish energy conference a few years back held in SA. Was looking for some literature on a specific piece, but they removed the slides where they spent a year in SA looking at government energy usage. The purely looked switching off the municipal building lights at night, that all (we aren't even talking about sensors for movement, or timers, or daylight sensors, we are talking about one guy who walks to the board and switches off the Button)

Energy savings through behavioural changes in South Africa
    Edenvale Customer Care Centre
    Office building
    Built ca. 1965
    Floor area 6100 m2
    3½ storeys
    205 kWh/m2/year

300 Customer Care Centres in the same size as Ekurhuleni Customer Care Center in Edenvale, will give the following savings per year, when 60% of the savings potential are utilised.

Savings in kW/anno: 130 GigaWatt
    Savings in ZAR/per annum at 0.6 rand per Kwh.: 78 mill. Rand
    In addition, one can expect similar savings in the same type of public buildings.

They used, looking at the graphs, between 75kW and 140kW between the hours of 6pm and 6am...WHAT A JOKE!!! THIS WAS ONE BUILDING!!! Yet, the general public, sitting at home is told to switch off their lights. Consider the fact that this is only municipalities, and not all government buildings, and no private or listed companies?
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

12. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (06-May-10), desA (08-May-10)

Thanks
    The use of Motor Protection units which have the built in functionality of data logging can enable an electrical engineer to determine and optimise the usage of power on each engine running in a factory. S Tech Africa supplies these units and has had encouraging results from them in using them as a diagnostic tool to reduce power utilisation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast