Thread: Yes it is back.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes it is back.

Talk about kicking a dead horse. As of late I have received phone call after phone call about mobile internet connectivity. The truth is a lot of companies do use GPRS or 3G to connect to the net and download there mail or other information that is crucial for their day-to-day operations.

Now they don’t use your branded 3G modems like the normal user does. There modems can connect to any network and is basically OEM. However they do still use service providers. Now as of late Vodacom is bouncing around but it is not intermittent but it is becoming a pain. Then there is Virgin! My goodness how slow can you get!

Now I have spoken to a Virgin technical operator and he told me that Virgin is upgrading and that all signal related problems will “go away” after about 2 week. Well I have tested there network and it takes about 7 minutes to load this webpage. Takes about 4 minutes to display the Google logo and is and mail just times out...

Now how bad can it get? Well I did a test on a normal telephone line using an old dialup account and it took me only 1 minute to upload the page “before Telkom dropped my call” On a second test I stayed on for about 20 minutes and was able to get the customers e-mail. So Virgin is slower then dialup at the moment! But in all honesty Virgin better wake-up they are going to lose money.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even 1 minute on dial-up is pretty slow

Which browser were you using?

Thanks
    well, here's the funny thing:
    Cell C is piggybacking off of vodacom's network. as far as I still understand, Cell C is still not on 3G (only GPRS). now the plot thickens. Virgin doesn't want to deal with Vodacom. so they're "piggybacking" off of Cell C. Fascinating enough, while vodacom charges upwards of a rand (depending on packages etc) per meg, Virgin manages to get by with 50 cents per meg. really does show you how Vodacom is raping.

Thanks
    To see just how poorly the whole alphabet soup of mobile suppliers are doing in SA, compare with the new stuff coming out in the UK: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07...wireless_tech/

It goes a bit technical, but shows the history of all the acronyms used in mobile connectivity. Now wouldn't it be nice if we could simply skip all these intermediate technologies and go for LTE instead? 100Mb/s download & 50Mb/s upload?

Of course then the gov needs to open some more frequency for Vodacom/MTN (all the rest are still piggy backing off them, mostly of V though)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gov is probably reserving bandwidth in the hope that Cell C & co actually invest in their own network infrastructure one day

Thanks
    or the almighty scratching of backs and greasing of palms.