Thread: Strike negotiations

Thanks

Strike negotiations

This mornings news includes our smiling Minister of Labour, who informs us that the talks they have just come out, of relating to the workers on the 2010 sites, were successful. He also stated that they were extremely complex.

The next bit of news is about the union discussing the offer with its members.

So I have two questions from this.

1. How could the talks that went on for a gazillian hours be 'successful' if the union is still discussing the offer and have a 'we'll get back to you' scenario?
    2. How can these negotiations be sooooo complex?

What am I missing here? - Ok thats the third question but why do I get the feeling that they sat around all night drinking Johnnie Black and wasting our money.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    The REAL negotiation is : ... what it's going to cost the bosses to get the union leaders to recommend that their members accept an offer that is just slightly higher than what the bosses wanted to offer in the first place - and way lower than what the union members are asking for.

That way the members get the warm and fuzzy feeling that they got one over the bosses by squeezing a bit more out of them, the union leaders look like "heroes of the people" and have been rewarded by the bosses for their 'consultation' ( paid via the wife's sisters cousins consultation business ), the bosses got away paying what they wanted to pay anyway ( their initial offer was actually only 70% of what they were wanting to pay ) and it only cost them a small once-off reward to the union leaders.

Is it remotely possible that this is not the scenario ? -- highly unlikely -- this is e-Afrika and anything looks like doggy dodo and smells like doggy dodo, probably is.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that he couldn't just cave in to labour demands because his buddies have a vested interest, I'm sure he had to do a bit more than the usual "smile and shake hands" drill. Negotiating must have seemed very complex.
    Last edited by Dave A; 10-Jul-09 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To be honest it is a bit of a story. See the complexity comes down to “Who to please and who to stab in the back” The fact is unions are losing popularity because of this. The truth will speak for itself in the end of the day. However it will be worth keeping an eye on negotiators and their income status.

If anything is true then following the money is always a revealing factor. However always remember innocent until proven guilty. So we can only speculate.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I believe they're getting 12% + some other bits and pieces. NUM seems pleased.
    A wage agreement between employers and construction workers following a week-long strike at Soccer World Cup stadiums was better than expected, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said.

"It is a very good agreement for labour. We hope our members are going to be excited," said NUM spokesperson Lesiba Seshoka.

Seshoka said the union's members had previously provided a mandate for negotiators to accept an offer from employers represented by the South African Federation of Civil Engineering (Safcec).

"What we got for them was actually better than they had given us a mandate for," he said.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    I also understand from discussion with guys up at the new airport being built, that the negotiations also included a story that prevented any more striking until the various jobs are completed. From the sound of things this was also a lost battle which could mean....see you sometime before we are finished, same time same place.

I just see this as cutting down the tree from where an olive branch was held out scenario. Sad state of affairs for the country and a poor reflection on the unions and the government.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep! Last I heard the deal wasn't signed today at midday after all. The unions won't give up the right to strike again until after the stadiums are finished. I didn't know the airport stuff was sucked into this too. For 12% you'd think you could get a 1 year deal as minimum.

The writing is on the wall. Clearly the unions intend this to be the first instalment in a series of extortions if they're standing firm on the point.