Thread: Chat-room Propaganda.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Chat-room Propaganda.

In the murky light of mobile registration and what it really will do to your privacy is still largely an unknown factor. However the local chat-rooms people indeed fear that their identities will now be known to the sight administrator or the local hacker.

The fact is most chat because it is anonymous and you can pretend to be someone else. Some chatters will tell you that it is an escape from reality and others will just chat because they are really lonely people.

If anything one would like to know more on how chat-rooms work and if it is indeed possible that your anonymity will be lost with these new mobile registration laws.

So if you have a technical insight about all of this it would be most welcomed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know, these are javascript programs. I expect it's possible to insert a line in the code that returns the cellphone number. Whether they actually do or not, I have no idea.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That is the general fear of most chat groups. In most cases stalking is the main concern according to my own studies. Out of 50 chat-rooms I visited the general fear was “can I be found” With this being said there is no real way you can protect yourself against this invasion.

Most “hide IP” programs run with a dedicated proxy that will communicate on your-behalf and thus your own IP will not be used. However it comes at financial cost.

The question now is:
    Will children be safe on the net?
    Will family members be safe on the net?

Do you wish to continue to use internet services like:
    Internet banking?
    Internet Shopping?
    Also the use of E-mail?

This cannot be healthy for online business at all.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now hold your horses there for a moment. There's a difference between cellphone based chatroom situations and PC based systems, mainly that PC based browsers aren't going to return cellphone numbers. They could, however, return your HELO, which is disclosed in the header information of every email you send anyway.

In fact in a normal internet situation, it's the email header info that is the most revealing. If you want to get an idea of what that looks like, select a received email, right-click and select properties. You'll see a trace from source to final destination including every server inbetween.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I hope I am wrong about all of this. I really do like my internet. Even with my GPRS bombing out every 10 to 30 minutes. I think time will be the judge on this one.

Thanks
    think about it logically. if a cellphone company gave any site your info, how long do you think it would be before they're sued for breaking confidentiality? you are giving that info for their clerical purposes, not so they can broadcast it to the world. The mobile registration is put in place so the cellphone companies can put a name to the number. of course what they "intend" this for is going to fail completely. one of the reasons is so they can trace criminals. let's face it, they're talking about criminals, people who create fraudulent docs all the time. really going to work now, isn't it. make it harder, perhaps, but not likely.

telemarketing, I believe, is going to be the biggest benefactor. phone companies hand out info like that daily (so much for confidentiality). now if every number has details to it, that makes it all the more easier to get to potential customers quicker and with greater accuracy.

one of the interesting things I can see happening is this:
    your cellphone rings. you look down and see that john jacobs wants to chat to you. he isn't on your contacts list. imagine knowing who it is before you answer. you can know what tone you should use before you even start the conversation.

also, the nuisance of going into a shop wanting to quickly get a sim card and having to follow some long procedure. fun.

all in all, my details are already down, because I'm on a contract. What this information is going to be really used for is anyone's guess.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    of course what they "intend" this for is going to fail completely. one of the reasons is so they can trace criminals. let's face it, they're talking about criminals, people who create fraudulent docs all the time. really going to work now, isn't it. make it harder, perhaps, but not likely.
    I can't help but compare this to FICA as it applies to bank accounts. We're still getting fraud involving bank accounts where the culprits aren't traceable

Just how much of a difference is this going to make? Or is it simply a case of doing something, even if it isn't all that effective?

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.