Thread: Water Purifiers / wood cabins / solar panels - any comments ?

Thanks

Question Water Purifiers / wood cabins / solar panels - any comments ?

Today went to the Durban Home & Garden Expo.

Skipped the stand with the shower heads with smaller holes

Been thinking a while about 4 items we saw :

1. the Water Purifiers. These are under-counter canisters ( www.purifiedwater.co.za ).

2. the wooden cabins that you can use as a 1 room playroom / guest cottage / granny flat, etc.

3. Solar panels with geysers - do they really save 30% of your electric bill ?

4. Solar panels for the pool - do they really raise the temperature in winter between 6 and 10 degrees and completely maintenance free ?

Does anyone have any experiences / comments ( good or bad please ) before we go 'splash' out the cash ?
    Last edited by daveob; 06-Jul-09 at 08:14 PM.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    # WE WERE ESTABLISHED 2004 AND NOW HAVE 13 YEARS
    2009 - 2004 = 5 years

However if you live where I do. You will need a water purification system. Or you can drink tap water and get “Gieter Gat” So if this system will stop you from becoming a permanent resident at your local toilet it is a good investment.
    “Just ask how much the maintenance is

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Dornan slogan on water filters -

Buy a filter or be a filter

4. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (07-Jul-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Today went to the Durban Home & Garden Expo.

Skipped the stand with the shower heads with smaller holes

Been thinking a while about 4 items we saw :

1. the Water Purifiers. These are under-counter canisters ( www.purifiedwater.co.za ).

2. the wooden cabins that you can use as a 1 room playroom / guest cottage / granny flat, etc.

3. Solar panels with geysers - do they really save 30% of your electric bill ?

4. Solar panels for the pool - do they really raise the temperature in winter between 6 and 10 degrees and completely maintenance free ?

Does anyone have any experiences / comments ( good or bad please ) before we go 'splash' out the cash ?
    Dave, I can only comment on two subjects:

Water purifier:
    Yes, if it is a RO system and highly recommended even if you have Rand water or whatever. I have been using this for +- 5 years and maintenance +- R 500 / annum. If you do go that route then make sure it is one with a pump to give the correct pressure to fill the collector tank correctly.
    The quality of tap water has decreased significantly over the past few years and as far as I am concerned, not fit for drinking any more.

Solar Water Heater:
    I fitted one 2 years ago and this has made a marked decrease in my electricity consumption............. the 30% is not far of !
    In summer much better but winter not as in WOW ! ( Rustenburg area ) but yes........makes a difference !
    If you go that route then investigate the newer "Evacuated Glass Tube" type and for an average house with 200L geyser you have to go for 24 tubes.
    If you need more info , you can contact me.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.