Thread: no more domestic worker

Thanks

no more domestic worker

Today my domestic worker did not arrive for work. Luckily I managed to get hold of her on her phone only to find out that she has taken a full time job elsewhere and won't be working for me any more.

She's only been working for us for two months, and I'm not too upset because I don't think it was going to work out anyway. Probably for the best.

She did sign a contract, and I went through registering her for UIF. All I'm going to do is write a short letter saying that on this day this particular telephonic conversation occurred, and that she has effectively resigned and file it away with the contract and other docs for her.

Anyone see any particular problem with this approach? I'm not exactly expecting her to pop by with an official letter of resignation any time soon....
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    I'm not exactly expecting her to pop by with an official letter of resignation any time soon....
    roflmao

Worse still, you draft something up for her to sign and it could be viewed as constructive dismissal. Maybe just a written request for written confirmation of resignation as backup? Minutes of the phone meeting seems like the next best thing. Ridiculous that we even have to think of being that paranoid.

Hopefully Marq will stop by. He had that desertion case which might be a bit closer.

I had one where a staff member resigned verbally as she was being served notice to attend a disciplinary, but refused (in writing nogal) to give a written resignation. I played safe and went through with the disciplinary process.... but I knew that this one was going to be trouble if I didn't do it by the book.

Thanks

Domestic non show

I know what I would do:

Go straight to the CCMA and report the matter! That should keep me covered and may just surprise a few people.

Just like that other "group" we have here in KZN: the Housing Rental Tribunal. Its not just for the "exploited" tenants but also for the "capitalist" landlords: quickest way of getting a tenant out of your property!

Sieg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's wicked

Thanks
    I actually did email the CCMA via their online form just to cover my bases. They responded that they don't handle domestic workers and that I should contact the department labour....must do that now.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog