Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver demerit system

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Driver demerit system

Apparently the driver demerit system kicked off yesterday. And rumour has it the 10km per hour grace on the speed limit that applied before fines were issued does not apply on the demerit system.

I can't help thinking we're going to see a lot of scaremongering so right now I'm trying to take everything with a pinch of salt. So if anyone does have the real story, please share the info!

2. Thanks given for this post:

Graeme (02-Jul-09)

Thanks
    If I recall it was going to be introduced in September 2006. Its three years on and I cannot say that we have heard much since. In fact your post is the first I have heard that anything might be going on now in this regard.

Surly there would have been a bit of a fanfare and final rules and penalties, how you will be notified and stuff like that........

oh sorry I forgot , TIA.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    For people who live in Durban North, watch out for Athlone Bridge - a speed trapping camera and operator are almost permanently camped out beneath a tree at the top of the hill, and now a suspicious looking mast has been erected at the other end of the bridge with what looks like a window for a lens at the top. It feels almost unnatural to cross that wide safe bridge at 60kph and I think that almost half the suburb have been trapped by now. My wife, myself and my daughter have all been caught.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (03-Jul-09)

Thanks
    Yep - had one a while back.

If they would just control the traffic around the bends in Northway, they could prevent the many fatal accidents there and actually do something useful for once in their lives. There only offering has been some crash barriers.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Could anyone confirm the final outcome of a business owner needing to keep a constant check on the internet for any fines obtained by employees whilst driving a company vehicle registered under the name of the owner of the business?

Does anyone know the address for this site?

Is it true that there are only a limited number of days in which to appeal if you were not the driver?

Surely this is going to have quite an impact of permitting others to drive your vehicles?
    Scenarios of parents no longer permitted to drive their vehicles as youngsters have obtained fines whilst using parents vehicles come to mind!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm quite sure the authorities still have to notify you, and that you must be given the opportunity to respond. I came across this site on traffic fines today which is probably worth a read.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Yvonne (06-Jul-09)

Thanks
    Still no idea on when this demerits scenario is coming out or if it is already out?

I know there is a big debate on what infringement deserves how many points etc but check this page out and be glad you dont live in Ontario.

Reversing down a divided road = 2 points, but you get 3 points off for driving down the wrong way......????
    And 3 point if you 'crowd the drivers seat' - what gives with these Canadians?
    You also have to weigh your passengers - oye you with the anorexia body - you are not securely fastened in.
    Anyway - slow driving has the same number of points as going down a highway in reverse. They dont really say how slow is slow but I am sure we will admit going backwards is pretty slow.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    There is so much "factual" humor in the world that we don't need to actually invent jokes!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is not a first. Many drivers that do support are basically forced to speed up and down to get to their designated sights so a lot of support people will be facing real problems. Some of them already face financial problems and can no longer pay the outstanding fines. There are some that have up to R3000 in fines thanks to hidden cameras.

I think if companies are being monitored and drivers can no longer speed then this will reduce stress among the support people because they really have a tuff time with the bad roads as it is. So if they start with the so called “Points system” A lot of people will end up on the unemployment fund.

Yet hidden speeding cameras are not the answer. Taking people’s jobs is most definitely not the answer. Placing speed cameras in clear public view is an answer because you will slow down and thus you will not get in trouble. The UK is doing this and it is working well.

Cameras by traffic robots will also help a lot because you’re “Fast and Furious Warm koppie” are the real problem in that aria. So the public must demand to be able to see the speed cameras and that those cameras be used responsibly.

The police taking peoples jobs is just not the way to go...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It seems that lending or other people using your vehicle is going to be a big problem.

Especially selling your vehicle, i sold my wife’s car and in a matter of 2 months the new owner had 6 fines on my wife’s name. Before re registering on his name.

You only have 30 days from the date of the fine to change the driver’s details and it is a lengthy process with lots of documentation required.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast