Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Required Qualifications in South Africa

Thanks

Required Qualifications in South Africa

Hey All,
    Unlike most I am currently in the UK looking to come back to South Africa.

I have a couple of City & Guild qualifications and was wondering wether they would be recognised in SA. I ask this because I see C&G advertise on the SA Forum home page.

My current Qualifications:
    C&G 2381 - Wiring regulations
    C&G 2391 - Certifying new & existing installations
    C&G 2377 - PAT Testing (appliance testing)

I would really appreciate it if anybody can help me out with this or even tell me who I need to get in contact with to find the answers to this.

Kind Regards,
    Tracer
    Last edited by Tracer; 27-Jun-09 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    I ask this because I see C&G advertise on the SA Forum home page.
    That would be the magic of Google Adsense - advertising just for you!

There was a discussion on UK electrical qualifications being accepted in South Africa here and a related discussion on South Africa's skills crisis which may account for it.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave!

Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm just not sure how much it helps.

Thanks

Think I Got It.....

Hello Dave,
    I actually came across some posts that skatingsparks made in the UK aswell and it now looks that SAQA will only accept a Level 3 NVQ or a higher national diploma.

Thank you for the help, it did put me in contact with the right people.

Cheers

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback - that helped too

Silver Member
    Thanks

Any joy??

Hi tracer

Did you have any joy with SAQA or that chris guy at ECA. I go back this week to Jo'burg(South African girlfriend just won't leave SA) with a few more papers under my belt. I passed the 2391 testing and inspecting, 2391-02 design and verification, the 2382 17th edition(are they serious, my mum could have passed that exam) and the NVQ 3.

If that ain't good enough for SAQA and the ECA then i really don't care, I'm coming back to the UK and she can stay there.

Skating sparks

Thanks
    Hey Skating sparks
    Good to hear from you, hope all is well in SA!!
    No luck with SAQA yet, but theres no suprise. Will give them a chase again later this month. I also just finished my exams on 2382, yes pretty standard! Still a great feeling to have done with it. I think i will have to follow you example and do my NVQ and 2392 test and inspect (which one did you do - 2391 is for domestic only isn't it?) Please let me know what the feed back is for those qualifications back in SA.
    Any "spare notes" that you can forward on the NVQ3? Sorry to be so cheecky! lol.
    Best of luck with you ventures in SA and we need to keep in touch over the various forums, I will definitely need some more advise in the future!!!
    Cheers
    Tracer

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hey Tracer

Don't quote me on the NVQ thing. SAQA asked for a Part 3 qualification which I took to mean Level 3 City and guilds. By the way the testing and inspecting course you asked about, 2391-10, one is "Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification" is a Level 2 course where as the 2391-10 Inspection, testing and Verification covers Periodic inspections and is Level 3 which is the one I did, If you know how to do testing might as well go for the level 3. Would say you need to have done a bit of testing but I don't think its a requirement. Its not as easy as the 17th Edition exam and would say it was harder than the design and verification course. I'd go straight for the Level 3 one, pass rate country wide is 60% (ish) apparently so don't expect an easy ride.

The NVQ 3 I did through Delta Training, I just paid my money and got on with it. You basically do work, write up how you did it and try and cover as many areas required by the NVQ. I don't know what kind of work you do but There are 8 different areas you have to have experience in. If your a working sparks doing more than just house bashing you will be fine. I did it in 11 weeks but this is because the work I was doing was covering a lot of the required skills. It is quite a lot of bull^&$%, for example you have to prove you know how to use a ladder.

I don't realy have any notes that could be of use to you on the NVQ 3 front. You have to prove that YOU did the jobs. Check out this

http://www.mediafire.com/?ndumz2yl3zo

This is one of the write ups I did. Its so basic, but check out the log book. At the top of each page you'll see performance criteria that can be claimed against a job. In the same table it tells you how many of each you have to prove you have done. The NVQ assessor tracks which Performance criteria you have left to do and it reduces the number of jobs you have to write up. Just concentrate on getting X'x in those boxes and it doesn't take long. Just take a digital camera to work and take a picture of yourself doing part of a job your writing up, ie bend a bit of plastic tube, snap take picture and submit that as evidence. Simple.

They won't let you do it in less than 10 weeks. I think its more aimed at people who are just starting out, if you have been working a couple of years you'll fffllllyyyy through it. I took jobs I did in the first 5 weeks of work and spent 5 week, in the evening for a couple of hours a week putting it on paper and adding pics and photo copies and scans about the job.
    I heard of a thing called quick step, where you submit all your evidence on line and you can see on line what you have left to do.

http://www.quickstepv2.co.uk/

Don't know much about it but a few people have said its a quick way to do it but when I say that, these people were time served electricians and were just doing it so they could get there JIB card sorted.

I did the testing course through Connaught Electrical training and have to say they were frikin good. They covered thing really well paying extra attention to things that they knew usually came up in the exam. I Also had a book called City and guilds Exam Success Inspection and Testing 2391

City and Guilds Exam Success: Inspection and Testing IEE Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Jonathan Elliott, Mark Coles: Books

VERY useful. It has 2 sample papers for you to try and also explains what the markers of the exam are looking for and how best to present your answer. If your going to do the course this helped no end. Some of the questions even came up in the exam.

My NVQ is in the post and I am hoping it doesn't get lost or stolen(like my Christmas cards I sent, a CD, and my birthdays cards) in the South African postal system. Should be here this week. I'll be taking it SAQA with my other papers this week. I'll let you know what they say.

Hope this all helps.

skating sparks

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (18-Aug-09)

Thanks
    Thanks Skating Sparks!!!
    Much appreciated.
    Good luck with SAQA!!!
    Speak to you soon.
    Tracer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast