Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get Wiremans License?

Suspended
    Thanks
    i was in umtata a couple of months ago...we went down to inspect and test the new clinics operating theatres.

between changing the formats and sabs codes it must be quite a challenge getting any sort of qualifictions now days...i wish you luck.

Thanks
    I got a list of so called requirments from the departmenr of labour about 2 yers ago when i tried to apply. You need for a 3 phase installation tester: n3 ( i got n4) trade test (done) instaltion rules papers 1 and 2 ( got it like 4 years ago) and you need to have worked as a trade tested electricain for atleast 2 years ( almost 5 years) and then you need a nqf level 4 course called test and inspect industrial/comercial instalation.Good luck in trying to obtain that as i have been trying for the last 2 years either they dont know of it or they are stil implementing it. I now have a contact number of someone in the eca who deals with this isues and wil post as soon as i have more info.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (11-Aug-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks

Anyone worked out how to get a wireman licience yet?

Hello there

Right, so have passed Installation Rules papers 1 and 2 (just). I have UK Qualifications and am still(one year and 2 months down the line) trying to get SAQA to give me something higher than an N3. Now the one piece of information I managed to get from the ECA is that if you have an N4 you don't need to do a trade test(booked in for trade test, they tell me some time around September 2010). Can someone confirm this for me as I don't have much faith in one certain person who I have to deal with at the ECA(all he says is "wait....." and more is concerned that I spread the word to the UK that South Africans eat pup and gravy). I'm, after a 10 months here working a crap job for 20 weeks of those 10 month, having to go back to the UK for 4 months to get more qualifications, coming back again and being to told to "wait", am keen to get going now.

So SAQA should come back with at least an N4, I believe this to be the case because:-

1. They asked for one level 3 qualification and I have now bought them 4
    2. Because there are no more electrician quailfications (electrician wise) to get in the UK apart from Portable Appliance Testing which would be as worthless here as it is in the UK(sorry to offend if you worked to get this but it doesn't seem to be required here)

So I "should" have an N4 and I have passed the Installation rules.

I asked about the single phase tester course and the 3 phase tester course but was told to "wait". Wait for what I don't know.

So do I need to do the single phase tester course and 3 phase tester course.

Done plenty of testing, just passed the UK Testing exam and used to work at Megger (World leading test instrument manufacturer). Signed off 100's UK's version of the COC for everything from houses, papermills, bars, office buildings, factories blah blah blah.....

So what next? Who do I go to? Where can I do the testing course(if I need to). The only place I found was P and T technology and its expensive (6000 or so).

Any ideas because, call me a git, I kind of feel I have made the effort now. I am here on a skills quota visa and just want to do the work I have been doing for the last 10 years over here.

Alternatively anyone need an electrician(UK trained) in Jo Burg?

Silver Member
    Thanks

This might help

Just found this (by accident)

Has lots of answers

http://www.ecbsa.co.za/EIR2009.pdf

Thanks

Finaly got something hopefully its right

Requirements to register as a Instalation (Electrician3 phase installation tester):

N3 electrical (4 subjects)
    Trade test sertificate (electrician,millwright)
    2 papers on sans 10142-1
    2 unit standards on testing and coc for three phase instalations.(The 2 unit standards i am attending next week for 2 weeks at a place called EE services in Bloemfontein tel 0514512251. I got the name and number from a lady in the ecb offices in bloemfontein)

Then you need to go to department of labour and get a registration form wich also tells you what you need. It is the above mention plus proof that you worked atleast 2 years in the trade as a quailified electrician,2 id photo's one of wich must be sertified and R120 in revenue stamps (post office).Send Cerified copies of all qualifications,proof of employment and id to the department of labour and then sit back and wait for it.It takes plus minus two weeks

There is also one for singel phase tester to me a useless one as you can only do house and have to have almost the same stuff as the one above. Master comes after the one i mentioned and is for hospitals,explosives areas and such. If you want more info leave me a message.

Only after you got your wiremans license can you apply with the eca/ecb wich is simple compared to the process of getting the wiremans
    Last edited by JustJohann; 26-Nov-09 at 12:00 PM.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (26-Nov-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJohann View Post
    Requirements to register as a Instalation (Electrician3 phase installation tester):

N3 electrical (4 subjects)
    Trade test sertificate (electrician,millwright)
    2 papers on sans 10142-1
    2 unit standards on testing and coc for three phase instalations.(The 2 unit standards i am attending next week for 2 weeks at a place called EE services in Bloemfontein tel 0514512251. I got the name and number from a lady in the ecb offices in bloemfontein)

Then you need to go to department of labour and get a registration form wich also tells you what you need. It is the above mention plus proof that you worked atleast 2 years in the trade as a quailified electrician,2 id photo's one of wich must be sertified and R120 in revenue stamps (post office).Send Cerified copies of all qualifications,proof of employment and id to the department of labour and then sit back and wait for it.It takes plus minus two weeks

There is also one for singel phase tester to me a useless one as you can only do house and have to have almost the same stuff as the one above. Master comes after the one i mentioned and is for hospitals,explosives areas and such. If you want more info leave me a message.

Only after you got your wiremans license can you apply with the eca/ecb wich is simple compared to the process of getting the wiremans
    The official DOL brochure for a registered person. Copy and paste the link below.

http://www.uif.gov.za/downloads/docu...%20persons.doc
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Silver Member
    Thanks

I would consider juggling with with flaming cars whilst standing on one leg simple compared to getting a wiremans!!!

Silver Member
    Thanks

and R120 in revenue stamps (post office).
    There is some confusion over Revenue stamps as well, they don't exists anymore apparently. They stopped them on the 1st of November. I phoned DOL and asked how to make the payment and got and "eish! I don't know yet"

They may have sorted it now. Just thought you should know before going to the post office and and you get another hurdle to jump.

Thanks
    Lucky dol stil got my forms and info from about 2 and half years ago all they need is the unit standards and 3 weeks then i have it :P.

Thanks
    Update: You need 5 years experience instead of 2 now. The course is about 6000 rand but easy and worthwhile. You fisicaly do 5 coc's with the instructor and the rest of the class write one exam with a pass mark of 70% and then one final coc which you do on your own. This gives you 15 points for your unit standards. The coarse the eca gives is only one point and does not count for much.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast