Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fundamental business principles - Get and keep customers

Email problem
    Thanks
    A business is about giving the customers what they want at a price they perceive as fair.
    So the first step is create a business around a service that meets a customer demand- that means find out what the customers need and let them know by local advertising ( knock and drop newspapers) and use your vehicle as a moving signboard, the cost of vynil lettering is quite reasonable.
    Work out what you think your time is worth per hour and charge that price( take into account tools running costs in that hour) Divide your monthly target earnings by the hours you are willing to work and price any jobs on that price.
    The next step is to do the quality job you promised & priced to make a reasonable profit.
    If you can't make a profit because the customers do not accept the quote then find another business need and start a business around that need. My experience is that some customers expect you to chase around and not pay you a profitable return for your labour and make you lose money rather I can sit on my rear end and make no profit
    but make no loss.
    If you get all your quotes accepted hen your price is too low in comparison to your competition. If you are only getting acceptance on 2 or 3 quotes then maybe your quotes are too high.
    As a contractor I usually ask for a deposit before I start the job to cover materials and labour +/- 50-60% up front. Do not be afraid to ask and it helps to have some standing in the community, join your local ratepayers and or crime forum do something for the community; you will be surprised what that sort of networking can do when you meet over a cup of tea or a beer after the meeting. Remember service first and a fair price and the profit will come automatically.
    Above all be happy doing the work you have chosen, customers like a happy chappie to work for them, it gives confidence.
    Regards
    Thomas

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (12-Oct-09)

Thanks
    Above all be happy doing the work you have chosen, customers like a happy chappie to work for them
    I believe that is the master key to all of the business teachings.....oh hang on they don't teach that out there. Well they should - it would solve a huge pile of problems.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12