I found these two particular paragraphs stood out in an overall interesting article.

Consider that one of the major differences between South Africa and Asian Tigers is that the tigers did not develop resource-based economies, but service and knowledge economies. Countries (especially in Africa) with much resource wealth continue to suffer human poverty -- the resource curse or Dutch disease.

We are consciously using our cheap energy to get foreign investment. Keeping our energy dirty (coal-based) keeps it cheap. China (the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation), Russia (Putin visit) and Canada (Alcan at Coega) are three countries that have closed deals on aluminium smelters (the most energy-hungry of operations) in South Africa this year. We have no trade strategy besides “we want FDI” and will do anything for it.

Full story on M&G
I find the comparison between the Asian Tigers "knowledge economies" and "resource economies" fascinating. Had to look up what "Dutch disease" was, and found some answers on Wikipedia

Dutch disease is an economic concept that tries to explain the seeming relationship between the exploitation of natural resources and a decline in the manufacturing sector. The theory is that an increase in revenues from natural resources will deindustrialise a nation's economy by raising the exchange rate, which makes the manufacturing sector less competitive.
The next question that comes to mind is, "What happens when our electricity supply cannot support the foreign investment?"

Eventually Eskom has to start pushing up prices to force lower usage and to cover the expenses of investing in new power developments. It is mentioned in the article, but I'm not sure how many people realise that we have some of the cheapest electricity in the world. How far reaching will the impact of a steep rise in electricity costs be to our society and our economic growth?