Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Desperation!

Thanks
    There's no way that you're going to get Mac free ... you may even end up spending more than you're used to with M$ (new hardware as well). Several Linuxes available for free download, but it would probably be much cheaper to just buy a CD. Here's 3 sites offering various linuxes available ranging from R20 to about R600, they also offer other software if you don't want to download (say) OpenOffice of 200+ MB.

Open Office 3 does pretty well with .DOC & .XLS files. Open and save. As Dave's stated, some formatting discrepancies, but only with very advanced formatting (especially to do with graphics). However, it's basically S#IT with DOCX and XLSX files. Opens & Saves them sure! But formatting is totally bugg3r3d ... even worse than the addon to MS Office 2003. Only decent way of getting to load those is to SaveAs from MSO2007 to DOC / XLS.

As for running MSO2007 on Linux, I don't think you can yet. WINE is still trying to run some older stuff, but MSO2007 isn't working yet. If you don't mind having 2 OS's (Linux + Windows) you can install something like VirtualBox on Linux, then install Windows inside it (not yet available for Vista64bit, but 32bit works , see attached Vista running as window inside Linux). Ensure you have a huge amount of RAM & allow for at least 1GB for Vista (512MB absolute min). This way you've got windows running only the apps you want (could disallow Internet to the windows), copy-n-paste works between the 2 OS's & you have a shared portion of HD between the 2 as well (seen as if it's a network share).

Biggest problem is emails, IMHO there's nothing that truly compares with Outlook ... although Thunderbird comes close, ensure you also install the Lightning addon for calendars.

For me at present, there's no chance. Mac / Linux still can't handle AutoCAD, Revit & 3dStudio . They've got older versions of ACad running in WINE, but I've become so used to the new features - it would be detrimental to go backwards (the shown example is a version of ACad from 1997 - release 14 there's been 10 releases since then). Some have got it running on Mac, but then performance goes down the tubes . I'm still running Windows for this reason only. Have moved away from MSO as much as possible, found OOo in some ways a lot better. Only reason for me to stick with MSO is Outlook & Access, but as stated some alternatives are available which aren't that bad .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	822  

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (28-May-09), garthu (28-May-09)

Thanks
    Can MSO open OO docs. Thats probably the main reason i havnt moved to OO is anyone receiving an OO and they have MSO cant open it?? Is that correct??
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks

Talking Ubuntu is the way to go

Both Microsoft and Apple fear open source software, because it allows you the freedom of choice. Ubuntu is a South African open source product that is backed by Mark Shuttleworth.

Ubuntu has gained a great deal of respect world wide in the short time that it has been available.

So hey, local is lekker!

Thanks
    I tried OO for a while with no problem opening old docs and MSO stuff and in reverse.

Changed back as some of the things I use did not work properly in the OO systems. Cant remember what they were now, but remember that the point was made that being open source, continual developments are being made and that the resources were not in place to ensure everything is the same as MS. For basics and some smart stuff at a zero price - it really is the way to go.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

6. Thanks given for this post:

garthu (28-May-09)

Suspended
    Thanks
    My Vista has a few more licences then the one you get at the local PC store. Anyway the fax systems work with fax-to-Email. And there e-mail systems can only accept PDF with a 3MB limit on it. The rule on the mail server is PDF only right now. But no more web use at all. No more USB drives also. Fact is that one company enforced a new policy “If you use a USB drive you will be disciplined and even fired”

The Virus thing is p!ssing companies off and they are taking steps. I can’t help but wonder how many people lost their jobs or companies because of viruses...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12