Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To make money online you can also develop facebook application.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I must admit I still don't get how this turns into making money online. Arnold, could you give an example of a Facebook app that is making its developer useful money?
    Applications on Facebook are thriving most around the revenue models of virtual currency, ad-network inventory and branded sponsorships. Due to these three models, not just the apps but the whole Facebook payment eco-system as a whole is growing rapidly. Rock You’s ballpark earnings for 2009 are $300 million, which are mainly streamed from these three models while Zynga has crossed a $100 million sales mark this year. Seems like social gaming companies are really thriving!

Analogous to $500 million made by media app developers combine, Facebook is expected to make $500 million in revenue in 2009. According to the Ad Age estimates, Facebook developers are turning in between $300 to $500 million. Even if its $300 million, it’s a big number.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (21-May-09)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsmithh View Post
    virtual currency, ad-network inventory and branded sponsorships. Due to these three models, not just the apps but the whole Facebook payment eco-system as a whole is growing rapidly.
    Please help me understand...

Virtual currency - right now doesn't relate to money in the bank for a traditional trading company. Is it a way to trade / barter without actual cash changing hands? Is this the wave of the future?

I see the virtual currency working well with ad-network inventory and gaming etc, if I understand the phrase (ad- network inventory) correctly, other than that I am still way in the dark.

Branded sponsorships, I understand - but still maintain that not many of the apps on facebook are that well branded, hence very little money is being made for the company paying for the brand.

I understand that the gaming community will follow the apps and get to purchase the games etc etc, it is a particular market and I also understand that a good programmer then gets to build his bank account, but how does an app help a plumber, a mechanic, a printer or a teacher to make money?

Facebook payment eco-system - this is what I think this is! We all pay Facebook and it goes into their system! Joking, but I would like to play devils advocate and suggest that Facebook and Google are creating their own little cyberworlds, where the money is going round and round in circles, with the major syphoning off the top coming from them and them only. This scares me a bit, it sounds like the current financial institutions and their behaviour of the last few decades repeated??...

Please understand I am not being difficult, I have a son who can pretty much design any app I ask him to. If there is a possibility that I can retire simply because I gave birth to this genius, I would like to...
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12