Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telkom ADSL line

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got this adage - if you don't ask you don't get.

If they are an unknown quantity, ask for a couple of clients that are already on the service. You can then contact them and ask how good the service is.

Or ask for a demo on site...

If you are clear that you are interested, but concerned that you might not get the performance you're looking for, they could be reasonably co-operative.

Worth a shot for your peace of mind.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (13-May-09)

Thanks
    Anybody there with vibes about Screamer Telecoms, good or bad.

They offer a wireless service in Rustenburg and according to there web page does not seem to be too bad in both terms and price.
    Service ? I dunno.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    The only question I have to guy's using this method already is: In general how reliable can I expect them to be ?
    Not reliable at all, we've got a "slightly" larger capping of 20GB on ours (I think for around R3000/m - we're in Sandton) ... also an annual contract. But due to it failing about once a week, we've added ADSL for backup bandwidth. But that's because our projects would be detrimentally influenced if we don't have connection.

What I have just found (yesterday): the wireless link was down so the firewall / proxy server switched over to the ADSL lines (there's 2x 4MB's). Well, it toot 4 hours for an email I was waiting for to arrive at our local server (behind the firewall). Usually with the wireless on, it takes less than 5min.

The Wireless is supposed to be 8MB/s, while the combined ADSL's should give the same ... right? NFW ... our max download speed on ADSL was 150kbytes/sec ... usually averaging around 50kb/s or less. The wireless (while it's on) averages around 200kb/s, sometimes you see a spike of around 1mb/s.

Thanks
    Well..........so far not too bad ! Screamer has been down twice so far in the last 2 months but for a few minutes only.
    I am using N series router and w/l dongle so I get connection at 135Mb/s when I am close to the router and about 120 around the house. Not bad compared to my ADSL at work. ( Max 100 Mb/s ).
    Fortunately the package is flexible. Can cancel at any time. Shall play the waiting game !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I may change the subject a little.

In any event the internet cost money. Now I am still stuck with good old GPRS and a little Samsung mobile but it gets the job done. Now I am sure that you have seen the TELKOM advert stating how much work has been done so that everyone can enjoy the fastest internet available when 2010 World Cup “disaster” hits good old South Africa. However Vodacom and MTN are still expensive as is Telkom and the rest of the lot really is not worthy to mention.

So all of this is a big waste of time because only the rich and powerful will get to use these wonderful new technologies and the rest of us will just have to go on living without it. So was the TELKOM upgrade a big waste of time? You bet your genetic material on that one. Townships and particular Aria’s in MP alone still sits without basic connections as is. Then there is the mammoth cost that comes with these innovations.

Also the 2010 Cup was given to better the public’s lives. Not even this is happening because Vodacom and MTN are still robbing the internet customer blind with their massif costs! Taking into consideration that more people uses mobile internet above all else! So MTN and Vodacom are still kicking the poor in the teeth.

So happy days are not yet here and 2010 is almost here...

Thanks
    I'm still wondering whether this isn't a ploy to prep for those undersea cables. after all, they are supposed to be absolutely killer on the bandwidth side, and I doubt telkoms current infrastructure would support it.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Anybody there with vibes about Screamer Telecoms, good or bad.

They offer a wireless service in Rustenburg and according to there web page does not seem to be too bad in both terms and price.
    Service ? I dunno.
    Hi

I have been using Screamers network in Rustenburg for about 2 years. Initially it was scratchy and I nearly dropped it but over the past 6 months they have done something that makes it great. It is faster than my ADSL connection at work and more stable. I also use their phone service because it is cheaper than Telkom and Vodacom...by far. Recommended

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12