Thread: Tax help for Recreational Club

Silver Member
    Thanks

Tax help for Recreational Club

Hi.

Myself and a friend are looking at starting a South African rectreational club for young aviators.

Would any of you be willing to help us with the tax implications, advice and registering with SARS, but for free as we cannot afford to pay for the services.

Regards

Itai
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

Thanks
    Are u a pilot?? Interesting, might also be interested in the club... just not so young anymore (plenty at heart!)
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    No, unfortunately not yet ... but one day when I've got my degree and can pay for my schooling.

Well We're looking at a broad use of the word youth to include 12 - 30.
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eitai2001 View Post
    Hi.

Myself and a friend are looking at starting a South African rectreational club for young aviators.

Would any of you be willing to help us with the tax implications, advice and registering with SARS, but for free as we cannot afford to pay for the services.

Regards

Itai
    Hi

Register your recreational club, as an NPO at Social Services first, then follow up with a Tax Exemption Registration at the Tax Exempt Unit, in Pretoria.
    The Tax Exempt Status will entitle your donors to a section 18 tax deduction(incentive)

Here is the catch however, tax exempt status, in no way implies that you will never pay tax on the NPO. Donations, grants and membership fees are tax exempt, but all your trading receipts(fundraisers etc), will attract tax!

Good Luck
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I found a tax handbook for recreational clubs that says that certain incomes and recepits are tax exempt, such as selling cold drinks off the premises

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Coldrinks are taxable receipts, anything beyond your fees and donations will attract tax. There are however tax exempt thresholds for your trading receipts as well, and like a normal business, expenses in production of trading receipts are tax deductible.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sgafc View Post
    Here is the catch however, tax exempt status, in no way implies that you will never pay tax on the NPO. Donations, grants and membership fees are tax exempt, but all your trading receipts(fundraisers etc), will attract tax!
    I recall we hit this issue in an NPO I had dealings with a couple of years ago.

You are allowed a percentage of trade income (25% rings a bell, but don't rely on that). But the rest had to be made up of subscriptions and donations.

Fundraising activities was an interesting aspect which we looked at quite closely too. For example, I established that the proceeds of the annual convention of the NPO was not deemed as taxable receipts. However, something like a tuckshop would attract the taxman's interest.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    A Non-Profit Organisation, cannot rely on its "Non-Profit" status, when it starts engaging in activities that are in competition with profitable entities, that are taxed on their profits. Thus the test would be what constitutes competition with taxpaying organisations. (Selling).
    www.sgafc.co.za

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (04-May-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eitai2001 View Post
    Hi.

Myself and a friend are looking at starting a South African rectreational club f

Itai
    I think first things first: If you want to start the club, then it needs to be properly constituted. This is done by preparing and signing the constitution of the club at its inaugural meeting. SARS will probably ask for a copy of the constitution.

Sieg

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    I think first things first: If you want to start the club, then it needs to be properly constituted. This is done by preparing and signing the constitution of the club at its inaugural meeting. SARS will probably ask for a copy of the constitution.

Sieg
    Hi.

Yes, we are busy gathering a group of people who we want to be in the committee. We will then write a constitution we all agree on and sign it.

Regards

Itai