Thread: Plug tops and C.O.C.

Thanks

Plug tops and C.O.C.

Lets start this off. I have always been under the impression that anything on a plug top does not form part of compliance. I was informed today by the ECB that this is true except for low voltage lighting. If low voltage lighting is used then it has to comply ie be wired in surfex etc etc. Why would this be? Aaaah because of transformers. Ok so what about flourescent lights, Pl9's and the likes? You may say they run on ballists but what are the ballists, just another name for a transformer. Does this make sense to anybody else?

Thanks
    Did the ECB quote any particular regulation on this one?

Thanks
    i think they stated 7.9.1 still have to confirm.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Hi Reg 7.9.1
    7.9 Extra low voltage lighting installations
    7.9.1 General
    NOTE The general requirements of this part of SANS 10142 are applicable to all
    subclauses of this subclause (7.9), except where this subclause modifies or replaces
    certain of the general requirements.
    7.9.1.1 The particular requirements in this subclause apply to extra low
    voltage lighting installations supplied from sources with a maximum rated
    voltage of 50 V a.c. or 120 V d.c.
    7.9.1.2 For extra low voltage lighting installations only SELV shall be applied.
    7.9.1.3 The following components of SELV lighting installations shall not be
    installed unless they comply with the appropriate standards:
    a) safety isolating transformers (wire wound) shall comply with
    SANS 61558-2-6/IEC 61558-2-6 (SABS IEC 61558-2-6);
    b) convertors (electronic power supply units) shall comply with
    SANS 61347-2-2/ IEC 61347-2-2 (SABS IEC 61347-2-2);
    Amdt 1; amdt 3
    c) supply track systems for luminaires shall comply with SANS 60570/
    IEC 60570 (SABS IEC 60570); and
    This standard is exclusively for use on one standalone PC. To access it from a file server or intranet constitutes
    a violation of SABS copyright rules. Note that only one printout of the standard may be made.
    SANS 10142-1:2003
    Edition 1.1
    (As amended 2003)
    d) bare wire extra low voltage lighting systems shall comply with
    SANS 60598-2-23/IEC 60598-2-23 (SABS IEC 60598-2-23).
    7.9.1.4 The rated output current of the SELV source (transformer or
    convertor) shall not exceed 25 A.
    7.9.1.5 The secondary circuits of more than one transformer shall not be
    connected in parallel.
    7.9.1.6 The fixed secondary circuit of a transformer or a convertor connected
    to a socket-outlet (see 6.14.1.4 and 6.16.1.11) is part of the electrical
    installation.
    7.9.1.7 Metallic structural parts of buildings

Nothing said about being supplied from a plug top.
    Any comments from the wise.
    E

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlowry View Post
    Hi Reg 7.9.1

7.9.1.6 The fixed secondary circuit of a transformer or a convertor connected
    to a socket-outlet (see 6.14.1.4 and 6.16.1.11) is part of the electrical
    installation.

Nothing said about being supplied from a plug top.
    Any comments from the wise.
    E
    Look again
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Then just to confuse you a little more, understand the description of a "socket outlet", much like a megger "insulation resisance tester" and so you get a socket outlet.

To the man on the street a "plug top" is just a thing you push into a socket outlet. when the maid is doing the cleaning in an office and the vacuum plug top doesnt fit into the red/blue socket outlet, it just means you have to go buy a red/blue one and fit it to the vacuum. If they still have old 5 amp sockets on the wall, it just means buying a 5 amp plug top available at any wholesaler sold directly to the public and connecting it to the new tumble drier, energy efficient only draws 12 amps

I have to laugh when people tell me to install stuff they bought themselves to save money, like a 15 amp socket outlet on special for only R115, i sell them to my customers for R75 when not on special. For those of you who are reading this thread and a re not electrical contractors, sometimes you need to give your contractor a little more credit than you do when it comes to supplying goods, not all people ar eout just to rip you off. i for expample get cost +10% on products at the wholesaler and sell it with a 25 % mark up which i feel is a reasonable markup. If you as a man off the street buy the same product and pay cash you should get their list price less 10 % which is still way more than i sell the product including my markup. If you buy it from your local hardeware you are going to pay more than 100 % markup.
    What i have found lately is that the wholesalers are selling directly to the public for the same price we as contractors are buying goods, thats why i have closed my wholesaler accounts and starting shopping around and buying direct from their suppliers and a much better rate.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Something else about low voltage lighting, did you know that you cannot use the transformer as a joint box due to the fact that it does not fit the requirements. The correct way to install low voltage lighting is to run your cable to a 3 way or 4 way box and then tap off for each light along the run. Also the cable running to the connection box of the transformer must enter the connection box and and the cover must be fastened onto the sheath of the cable, not the individual conductors. Its actually a minefield of note.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The sans regulations are just there to confuse people so that if there is ever a court case, there will reasonable doubt.

I have just pruchased a 230 volt downlighter lamp holder from Voltex, no sabs stamp, the securing clamp is for individual wires not the sheath. The diffrence between these and the ones you buy from other wholesalers, the earth terminal is inside the cover whereas the others the earth terminal is outside the secured cover. So we back to what some regard as exposed wires, but once again thats another whole thread of arguments.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The sans regulations are just there to confuse people so that if there is ever a court case, there will reasonable doubt.

I have just pruchased a 230 volt downlighter lamp holder from Voltex, no sabs stamp, the securing clamp is for individual wires not the sheath. The diffrence between these and the ones you buy from other wholesalers, the earth terminal is inside the cover whereas the others the earth terminal is outside the secured cover. So we back to what some regard as exposed wires, but once again thats another whole thread of arguments.
    The secured cover is what clamps onto the sheathing of the cable as far as I have seen. The earth terminal can be outside and is not regarded as exposed wiring

Thanks
    And to put a spanner in the works... the pool pump/gate mtor is plugged in so it is not part of the COC. Where does it end?

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.