Thread: Insurance could easily get out of paying via By Law 25

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Insurance could easily get out of paying via By Law 25

In the last few weeks I have been researching alternative income streams, since my past is electronics in audio and security, have been looking into both.

Heres what troubles me a lot! The fact is i doubt any one of us (our isn't and it was originally installed by large security company) has a "by law 25" compliant alarm system at home. Insurance policies state on the them that the alarm system must be "by law 25" compliant - not a certificate issued etc, just compliant.

Heres a few quick checks - Is the main control panel, ariel etc mounted at least 1.5m AWAY from the ceiling?? I dont think i have ever seen one that is. They are normally a foot or few inches away from the ceiling in the cupboard. Is that same equipment monitored by movement sensor in its area and the sensor cannot be seen from outside (now most are in a cupboard and there is never a sensor in the cupboard. Further, the motion detector is normally visible from the outside in the bedroom somehow as well)

How about this - is your alarm system "DOWN LOADABLE" from the control room. In other words can they (the security company armed response) view exact data on where the alarm occurred (which room), can they isolate a problem circuit remotely, can they activate your alarm from the control room, view troubled conditions (doesnt even specify troubled), view siren defect issues (not sure there is a system that can even do this).

If you have garden beams with a shunt (remote system of arming/disarm like a gate remote), this would, according to the law, make the entire system. non compliant. Considering this is about the only way of effectively arming them,

Is your control panel date and time stamped with min 128 event memory - doubt it, they cost a pretty penny more.

All your sensors terminated with line resistors (dont worry about that but i have never seen one done properly then)

Bottom line in half an hour i can pick out a whole range of reasons as to why insurance could turn and say no. Attorneys would have a field day with this if they wanted to deny a claim!

Dunno, but i would suggest that advising your insurance it is not BL25 compliant would be right - then good luck with your premiums...

What really grates me is that BL25 and the way alarms are installed stop tell you when the thief is in the house - its a bit late. Systems that can tell you they are on the property, would appear to be non compliant.
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

2. Thanks given for this post:

insulin (26-Apr-09)