Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking back at SA elections 2009

Thanks
    I have also seen poling stations with very little activity, and then not so far away, massive queues piling up. Very odd. I guess something to look at for the next one, but then again it comes down to planning correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now that the election results are in, here's my brief take on what happened.

The ANC.
    The ANC ran an awesome campaign, especially given all the negative stuff flying around. Sure, they lost ground in most provinces, but in most instances the losses were relatively insignificant and other than the Western Cape no-one threatened their dominance of the SA political landscape.

The whole campaign was slick and well planned. Any negative publicity was quickly countered or twisted to the advantage of the ANC by their astute understanding of the bulk of the electorate in South Africa. Whether the ANC is the same party it was may be debatable, but the religious zeal of the faithful remains undented through every twist in the tale.

The DA.
    The DA no doubt is celebrating its victory in the Western Cape and at a national level may view the failure of the ANC to get a clear 2/3rds majority as a victory too, but the results also delivered a lot of bad news. They simply are not making any meaningful penetration into the segments that make up the bulk of the electorate.

COPE.
    COPE proved that they're in the game, at least for now.

The rest.
    A few have some regional support. Some have some very specific identities which may keep them alive in the future. But most, if they are honest with themselves, are more interest groups than political parties and would do better for their cause if they worked their issues through one of the real political parties.

In summary.
    There is no party that poses a real threat to ANC dominance of the political landscape at the moment.

Looking forward.
    The ANC's biggest challenge is not to alienate their loyal support. On current form this should not be difficult.

COPE's biggest challenge is to establish its own identity.

The DA's biggest challenge is establishing street credibility with the bulk of the electorate.
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-Apr-09 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    This is the best break the DA (formerly the old Progressive Party) have ever had in their long existence. Now is their chance to strut their stuff in the Cape. I was talking to John Steenhuizen, former leader of the DA caucus in the Durban City Council, and now heading for his new job in the Natal Provincial Administration the other day and he was really eager and ready to roll. Watch this space....

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Well the results are mostly in and its same old same old.

Same butter different bums.
    I respect everyones right to vote or NOT to vote like I did. What a waste of time. Standing in a queue like sheep to vote, for what?

Dont get me wrong, I am very positive about the country's future, an ex ANC activist myself, but could just not come to terms with the "disease", and criminality in the African National Congress.

The opposition made an impact, not enough, but will a new party change anything? I doubt it...
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Thanks
    Aha -
    but will a new party change anything? I doubt it..
    Sadly this apathy is discouraging but the same way i feel. But i share EXACTLY the same opinion and didn't register. I must admit, as the time grew closer, i regretted not registering though. On the web poll i was spoilte vote - Guess i just don't trust politics anymore...
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I dont mean to sound apathetic. Just that I have researched politics beyond parliaments and elections, and how it is manipulated at a higher level. In the US the party with the most financial backing of Big Business, invariably wins the elections. Documentary proof of election manipulation and(rigging), in the US exists(Bush 2000). In South Africa there is no such proof, but I remain suspicious. I remain suspicious that a person of Trevor Manuels calibre, can stay in the ANC. I remain suspicious of Big Business supporting the ANC, when the ANC has adopted more "leftist" policies. For concerned SA citizens, the issue should not be the voters support for the ANC, but the corporate backing(local and international)and the funding that the ANC enjoys despite the cloud that hangs over Msholozi(Zuma).
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Oh we are concerned all right. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that some third force is rubbing a lot of palms with silver in making sure that Bra JZ does not obtain residency in "Sun City" courtesy of Correctional Services.......

What is the solution though?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sgafc View Post
    I dont mean to sound apathetic.
    Disillusioned, maybe? Being disappointed sure is deflating.

If we don't try to hold our politicians to account, it's never going to happen. And the best way to keep them on their toes is to know that there are enough people who don't blindly follow.

I know we're still quite a way from that, but the longest journey starts with the first steps.

And don't let the money thing get you down either. I don't think it's any coincidence the Republicans didn't get the usual raft of cash in the last USA elections. Does money make the winner, or follow the winner?

Thanks
    No apathy from me, I am registered and voted.

I am disapointed that the majority voted for the ruling party in such numbers, after all they now have a licence to be as arrogant, useless and as unacountable as before with the only change being 'new cadres' swapping piles of butter with 'old cadres'

The vast majority of the electorate who voted for this 'status quo' will get exactly what they deserve, A BIG FAT NOTHING.

I believe firmly that the stronger the opposition (no matter who) is the only way to keep the ruling party (no matter who) honest and true to their promises.

In Europe (not being held up as an example) governments have fallen because of 1/2% interest increase.

The light we were promised in the election tunnell today, was the gravy train going the opposite way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12