Thread: Nando's does it again!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nando's does it again!

Nando's has got the ANCYL all fired up with their latest ads.
    The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) on Tuesday called for the immediate withdrawal of the "disgusting" Nando's television and radio advertisements.

The league said the advertisements used "cheap satire" to undermine electoral politics in South Africa.

"We are fully aware that the advertisement is intended at mocking the president of the ANCYL, and in a racist fashion portrays political leaders as cartoons."

The television adverts feature a puppet named Julius -- which could be a reference to ANCYL leader Julius Malema -- who demands "change".

The league said it has commissioned its lawyers to investigate.

"While awaiting the legal advice, the ANCYL instructs the Nando's Company and those who did the advertisement to promptly withdraw the advert from all television screens and radio channels.

"If Nando's does not withdraw the adverts, the ANCYL will mobilise the people of South Africa to take militant action against Nando's and anything associated with Nando's."
    full story from M&G here
    I haven't seen the adverts yet, but I still feel like some Nando's for lunch today. I suppose I'd better take the camera - might get some exciting militant action shots

Thanks
    Ohhhh now I REALLY gotta see this add. Heard about it... but now on my MUST DO list.

the ANCYL will mobilise the people of South Africa to take militant action against Nando's
    ANCYL is truly pathetic. Violence springs to mind with them all the time.. Little brats
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    The ad has " a Julias" saying that if you want more change dont buy a Blah Blah meal for R39.99 and pay with R40.oo because you only get small change but if you buy it with R100.oo you get more change than the meal costs.

Some people show their ignorance by actually beleiving that this is denigrating??? "sheesh, eish, oy vey and WTF"

Silver Member
    Thanks
    and in a racist fashion portrays political leaders as cartoons
    I'm sorry ... so does that mean that when white politicians are also shown as cartoons thats racist too ... I'm guessing they would say no ... so how the hell is this racist.

Morons

FYI ... the add is brilliant, saw it on the big screen

Link to ad: YouTube - Nandos Election ad: Interview with ANC's Julius Malema
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (21-Apr-09), IanF (21-Apr-09)

Suspended
    Thanks
    It is called freedom of speech and if they don’t like it then what is the use of a democracy in the first damn place? Personally they are robbing the nation from simple freedoms and must be considered as such. Is it criminal to say what you think in a none violent comical manner?

Let us not forget the remarks they themselves make with their gatherings. Some of those remarks can be considered as violent and in direct conflict with constitutional law??

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That's going to be an all time classic.

Now seeing as the Nando's ad is on the web, I thought it might be instructive to demonstrate how to execute militant action against a website.

YouTube - Bad day at the office - smash computer

Go on Julius - you'll feel much better after that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    "The ANCYL expressed our concern over the advertisement and requested Nando's to promptly withdraw the adverts in all television and radio channels.

"The ANCYL and Nando's have agreed that the advertisements should be withdrawn within 24 hours in all the television and radio channels they were aired," it said.
    full story from M&G here
    No word about all the free advertising on the internet so far...

Thanks
    The effect is already there! We're all talking Nandos, they achieved there goal with it, removing it.. create more hype. A stack of free marketing on all news, radio channels and internet as you say. That marketing team are a bunch of geniuses!!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    The Nandos Malema add was even better than Achmed the dead Terrorist!