Thread: Door to door salesmen scam.

Suspended
    Thanks

Door to door salesmen scam.

I understand that all must make a living but this is important so please read:

First of the scam starts with the person asking for your time so that he or she would like to ask you a view questions that will help with generating more accurate statistics.

They ask you about 10 questions about your health. Then with concern they say that your life expectancy is low... Very low... Then they tell you about this wonderful product that is a bit costly but it will improve your health dramatically.

Now normally they will give you a payment plan and it sounds good so you say okay I will take one. The papers gets signed and then on the next morning you take the brochure and realize that this product is really not that good. So you call them up and say listen I changed my mind I don’t want it anymore. Then they will say per agreement that you have a copy of, you will pay to us an amount of about R9000 or so... And that you are legally forced to pay it by the new credit law...

Well I phoned the consumer council and made an appointment to see them. I was surprised to know that door to door sales fall under a deferent law and that the credit check must be done before financing anything! So... with the help of the consumer council we cancelled everything and we didn’t need to pay anything at all.

So be warned these people are running a scam on multiple products. They will make you feel powerless with their contract... So please get the number of your local consumer council and go ask for advice. Chances are you can cancel that contract but know you have to act within 5 to 7 days otherwise things get a bit sticky...

Also a special THANK YOU to the Mpumalanga Consumer council for helping us.

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (17-Apr-09), eitai2001 (17-Apr-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great to hear that worked out.

If I remember correctly they're also obliged to tell you you've got a seven day cooling off period (applicable if they called on you - not applicable if you went to them). If they didn't point this out, I wonder if getting back to them within 7 days would still be enforcable?

Suspended
    Thanks
    I can actually answer that for you. See I phoned them the next day and they already claimed that the contract was final. So I can only imagine that if you phone them after seven days that they will enforce the contract and make you pay. However there contract was so badly written that the consumer council got them on a bunch of stuff. I cannot remember them all but the contract itself broke several laws.