Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vodafone modem

Thanks

Vodafone modem

Here i am once again with an infuriating problem i can't solve.
    I have two huawei modems. A E270 from mtn that works with a mtn sim and teoretically should also work with my vodacom sim but doesn't.
    A vodafone huawei modem (not sure of the model, its the one where you could stick a micro sd card in, i'll confirm the model) that doesn't work on my pc but it does work on my laptop.

Now i've contacted vodacom numerous times and they are confident that the sim is ok and the modem is also working properly and that the fault lies with my brand new desktop pc. I've formatted and reinstalled all the drivers but no go.
    According to vodacom it can't be the sim because it worked on my laptop, but why not on my other mtn modem?

Have anyone experienced a similar issue with the vodafone modem and how can i fix this?
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    okay, well as far as I understand it, in theory yes, you should be able to swap sims between them. but in practice they can put a lock on the modem, just like you can get a locked cellphone (only one provider). as for the vodafone modem issue, I'll go through the usual steps (you've probably been through them, but hey, can't hurt):

try the original software/driver disc that came with the modem.
    if that doesn't work and you have an internet connection other than the modem one, try looking for drivers on the website.
    not sure about the pin, but try putting the sim into a phone and see what happens.
    I found this:
    so if they're both the same manufacturer and same model, they probably won't work together...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    okay, well as far as I understand it, in theory yes, you should be able to swap sims between them. but in practice they can put a lock on the modem, just like you can get a locked cellphone (only one provider). as for the vodafone modem issue, I'll go through the usual steps (you've probably been through them, but hey, can't hurt):
    I've already used another vodacom sim in the mtn modem a while back so that can't be the prob.

Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    try the original software/driver disc that came with the modem.
    if that doesn't work and you have an internet connection other than the modem one, try looking for drivers on the website.
    not sure about the pin, but try putting the sim into a phone and see what happens.
    It works fine when in a phone, could even go online, pin disabled.

I'm going to try it on another pc, preferably in another timezone.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I find the Vodacom guys on My Broadband to be the best resource for these sorts of issues. It's where I go for the funny issues that crop up with V3g.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I am not sure if I understand this correctly but you said you used a Vodacom SIM with the MTN modem before and that it worked correctly? I assume you made no changed to the dialup codes and stuff like that? Also I assume again that at no stage did anyone direct you to make changes on the Extra initialization commands on your modem while it was running with MTN or Vodacom? Ask Vodacom for that “Extra initialization commands” and see if that can help.

Thanks
    Hi,

I have a vodafone huawei modem, and sometimes I get no signal thru Vodacom, then I search for other available services. When I find MTN available I normally choose that one. I don't have any problem after that.

I only do this when there is a problem with the Vodacom server.

Thanks
    Ha, ive solved it at long last.
    The problem was the signal strength.
    The vodafone modem doesn't have a cable between the pc and itself and the E270 does. apparently that was that made all the difference. The MTN was lying on the table while the vodafone one was sort of wedged in between a printer and a wall.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That reminds me of my Sentech days. At Clubview I could get a signal in some rooms only. And in some of those it was with the modem perched on top of my laptop bag balanced on top of the TV or some other bizarre arrangement. When I discovered a room where it worked quite well without all the construction, I insisted on that room every time I stayed.

It was also one of the reasons I really loved the Pretoria Sheraton - 5/5 Sentech signal

Suspended
    Thanks
    See now I don’t have that problem because a tower is situated close to my home. It is about 800 meters away from me. Also it is shared by both MTN and Vodacom. On a 3g modem I always get full signal strength. But I wonder if it is healthy living so close to these towers?

Thanks
    hey, if you glow in the dark, you'll be the life of any party mate.

I feel like laughing, the solution was simple. I don't know why, but I have the mindset that every time there is an issue with hardware, you normally have to run a gauntlet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.