I've come across various aspects of the job hopping phenomenon lately, and some aspects are making the news.

Here's an article coming out in defence of the job hopping black professionals (and taking a bit of a dig at Tito Mboweni and Trevor Manuel).
In an economy in which they contribute too little, how can black professionals, by insinuation or otherwise, be seen as drivers of inflation when they are looking for better opportunities?

Even if job-hopping was a contributing factor, is it not inevitable that when people have been oppressed and denied opportunities for too long, once those opportunities are opened, they would seek to enjoy the fruits of freedom from job limitations: high salary perks and the like?

As for the Afrikaner bank assistants, it is politically naïve for Mboweni to seek to applaud them by juxtaposing them with black professionals, especially in an industry which is pre-dominantly white at the middle and the top.

You cannot condemn black people from wanting to fill in those places at the top - when in fact employment equity legislation (partly Mboweni's brainchild when he was labour minister) requires it.

In fact his latter-day successor, Membathisi Mdladlana, is at war with big companies for lack of compliance.
full story on Fin24 here
I went to a bank presentation about a month ago and they were describing the modern generation as the "Now" generation. Essentially, this involved instant gratification; do today, earn today, spend today, and who cares about tomorrow. The point the presenter made was that if you are looking for loyalty, get a dog. Your key staff will leave with the next better job offer - period. Forget about medium term prospects - it's about what is in the pay packet today.

I tend to disagree, but then I'm from an earlier generation. But the issue raises some interesting questions, methinks.

Is this new generation really so short term reward oriented and transient?
Is it true that staying too long with a company is bad for your CV?
How much of this is due to bad HR?
How much of this is due to skewed company priorities when it comes to employing?