Thread: Labour Abuse.

Suspended
    Thanks

Labour Abuse.

Well even with a good company policy, CCMA and your Local Union you still get Labour abuse on a large scale. The forms of abuse are mental abuse, physical abuse and blackmail. Now the reason for this post is to gather information. The scenarios I am using is from multiple companies some of them big others small but all are relevant and will point out blatant labour abuse.

First example I wish to indicate is travel allowance. I find that a lot of people do travel a distance between 500km to a 1000km a-day. Now the company in question only pays 70% of petrol and basic maintenance on the car. Then there is no living allowance given thus food, drink and boarding comes from the employee.

The second example is overtime: Now the employee books overtime and is not being paid overtime at all. Let us take the example the employee must work overtime but was never paid overtime ever? What can that employee do? Remember now all actions have reactions and this company is known to terminate people outright if the worker complains. “This is common in our local industry and small business”

The question here is human-rights and why is there no supervision from the government’s side to stop these forms of abuse and trust me they are more common then you may think.

Thanks for reading and all replies are welcomed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is something called "work to rule." What you need to take a close look at is your employment contract.

Does it cover overtime?
    Does it deal with vehicle allowances?
    Is the company acting in accordance with its employment contract with you?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes and it looks good on paper. I have taken these examples because they are specified on contract but the company do not honour their end of the contract.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Then detail all the areas where they are in transgression of the contract, set it out in writing and ask for it to be rectified.

If they won't honour their contract, then declare a dispute and take it to the CCMA.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I agree with you... However they will not go to the CCMA because the worker is afraid to lose his or her job. Now it feels like there is really nothing that can be done. However and this is my motive what if other companies say that if you don’t treat your workers with respect we will no longer supply you with anything or do business with you on any level. Will that stop a company from abusing his workers? I think it will. My point is those who have the power to change must use it because the lesser will suffer if you don’t. Now what do you think?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    However they will not go to the CCMA because the worker is afraid to lose his or her job.
    That is why you should work to rule. The company cannot dismiss staff for declaring a dispute. It would be an unfair dismissal and the employee could claim some reasonably serious damages.

There are all sorts of problems with trying to involve the clients of the company in this dispute. In terms of the employment contract used in my companies, this would be perfectly legitimate grounds for instant dismissal.

I'd like to say this - Standing up for your rights isn't always convenient. But if you truly believe in what you are fighting for, this should not be a serious obstacle.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes I agree with you. Standing up for your rights is a must. Regardless of how difficult things are in this day and age. One must start to say No... See I have in my mind this agreement I once saw. In order to become a supplier the company had to agree to it. See you don’t actually involve the client it self... the client can ask that the company in question agree to rules and regulations set by law to uphold good business practice. If the company do not uphold good practise or cannot justify their actions then only are they expelled as a supplier. All the client has to do is to monitor situations if they occur. In the end this agreement can help to establish good business practice...