Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whos at fault with the taxi's

Thanks

Whos at fault with the taxi's

You know when i saw this morning combined with another article/interview the other day, i realise now that attacking the drivers themselves may actually not be the solution:
    Taxi tycoon Ralph Jones, accused of intimidating drivers, is facing investigation for fraud in the industry
    I commented in another thread how getting them under control would be a good start to law and order

What i heard the other day is that the drivers themselves only end up with around R400 per week. A taxi can make around 10K a week top end if i interpret correctly.

Believe me i'm the first one to yell and scream some mornings (when i havnt had my whhhooosa meditation before i drive) but looking at this, the drivers are forced into this situation and i think it's fair to say forced. Kinda like crime (well it is) that if you dont drive like a maniac, you not gonna make even your R1600 per month, not be able to feed family - the number one reason for anarchy/crime. Never been a secret that the "bosses" are behind the violence so this then becomes the logical starting point.

It's the bosses that are against the RTS and regulating of the business, not the drivers

get the bosses sorted out, not the drivers. Putting the drivers in jail is going to do nothing for our roads.

I withdraw my statement sort out the taxi drivers and now make it "SORT OUT THE OWNERS AND BOSSES"
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

2. Thanks given for this post:

Graeme (31-Mar-09)

Thanks
    I agree with that.

The taxi industry appears to be run by organised crime and mafia tactics. Control of routes, type of buses, who does what and where is controlled by a few owners and gangsta type bosses.

My guess is that there is a constant war and related grime and corruption between authority and these self appointed warlords. The drivers are just pawns in the game but as long as they are backed by the bigger guns nothing will change.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Suspended
    Thanks
    You are so right but so wrong. The taxi industry is an organized crime syndicate since the beginning. Men with guns telling you will or you die. The fact is this is not a new phenomenon and our government is too weak to do anything about it. See the taxi syndicate is a terrorist tool. How? You may ask. I answer: The taxi can be seen as a mobile terror tactic capable to reach any South African regardless of colour and intimidate or kill because they are immune to prosecution most of the time. They are blackmailing South Africans by controlling the roads also they will endanger road users and intimidate road users by simple masses. All of us that read the news papers will know I am telling you the truth. I say use the military and bigger guns and make the taxi illegal. As it was stated it is not even profitable for the drivers anymore so you will probably do more good than harm. Get our trains safe again and bring in government controlled transport systems like busses. We do not need the taxi.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are clearly major problems in the taxi industry. I've had the odd vent about the minimum wage determination for taxi drivers being so low compared to rates for drivers in other industries with central bargaining in place.

But is it as simple as looking at the taxi bosses and blaming it on exploitation?

Perhaps not.

The taxi industry has been linked to political activism pretty much since its inception. Quite simply, you are not going to get very far with a "national stayaway" without co-operation from the taxi industry.

So just how close are the links between the taxi industry, COSATU and the ANC? Probably pretty close by the looks of things. And by now it is pretty clear just how much space the blind eye of cronyism gives nowadays.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    So just how close are the links between the taxi industry, COSATU and the ANC? Probably pretty close by the looks of things. And by now it is pretty clear just how much space the blind eye of cronyism gives nowadays.
    As asked before...whats the difference between organised crime and the government/government cronies?

mmmmmm.......give up!

There's a man who takes your wallet
    There's a man who takes your beer
    There's a man who takes your woman
    There's a man who just takes you

He's a government official
    That's what his papers say
    And he takes you every day

There's a man who takes your cigarettes
    There's a man who takes your car
    There's a man who takes the piss out of you
    But the biggest thief by far

Knocking on your door
    Coming back for more

He's organised
    Organised crime
    Organised crime

There's a man who takes your petrol
    There's a man who takes your food
    There's a man who takes your place in the queue
    There's a man who just takes you

Checking up on you
    There's nothing you can do

He's organised
    Organised crime
    Organised crime
    (Lyrics from the UK-Subs)

Sound familiar?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Suspended
    Thanks
    One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. Fact is who is the taxi bosses and why are they getting away with just about everything? It is true that the taxi bosses are connected to the government and yes the government do use them especially during elections... So what do we do? Nothing... There is nothing we can do. We are facing mass disarmament that is driven by the government. Point blank it is impossible to obtain a legal weapon and yet we are being attacked with military grade weaponry. I want to mention this: on Friday last week a women was being shot at with a machinegun by a passing taxi... He got away and fortunately the woman survived but her car was destroyed. Fist of I am absolutely disgusted that it didn’t made the newspapers or the news! Secondly it illustrates a point these taxi’s are a terror tool my question is why are they attacking innocent helpless women with fully automatic military grade weapons! What possible reason can there be? I answer: It is to show that they are in control that they do not fear the law. They do not respect human life, and there are nothing we can do because government is on their side...

Thanks
    And by now it is pretty clear just how much space the blind eye of cronyism gives nowadays.
    Sounds like you've been reading DA newsletters

Couple of things I've found interesting about this whole saga....

Apparently most of the disruption in Cape Town has been caused by one taxi association which only makes up about 10% of the industry.

The government gave the taxi industry R2mil to go on road shows to explain the BRT.....hmmm, which bright spark came up with that idea?

Jeff Radebe's response to the recent Joburg strike seemed to be one of genuine shock and disbelief. Somehow I don't think the government is too keen on shutting down the economic centre of the country....implications for income tax collection? Maybe the government's reaching a point where their vision is diverging from the taxi industries – there certainly appears to be resolve to get the BRT and IRT working.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    Sounds like you've been reading DA newsletters
    They do newsletters?

Nope - just reading the news, hearing about tender results and reading between the lines. Honestly, it is so blatant nowadays it doesn't take much of a detective job to spot.

Thanks
    They do newsletters?

Nope - just reading the news, hearing about tender results and reading between the lines. Honestly, it is so blatant nowadays it doesn't take much of a detective job to spot.
    Helen Zille writes SA Today which goes out on Fridays. The DA message for these elections seems to focus on the "closed, crony society" versus the "open, opportunity society." Just happened to be the words you were using which rung a bell
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Suspended
    Thanks
    I would love to see the taxi industry pay tax and road tax. Also let them pay for insurance and life cover. Then make it mandatory that all vehicles are inspected 6 times a year for road worthiness. Also bring in a report system that will enable the public to report abusive taxi drivers and overloading, drunk and aggressive driving. Bring in a heavy penalty system and then I will say yes... The taxi can stay.

Otherwise I have no sympathy for the industry. Right now on the news it is reported that taxi’s are used for prostitution, slavery, drug trafficking, gun trafficking, violent crimes, intimidation, kidnapping and murder. I don’t understand politics but needless to say they can all do with a bit of education when it comes to the basic needs of the country. Simple things like safety, protection and the right to life. Right now the media is pointing out that taxi industry corrupted to the core. Also based on the attacks and stuff that is happening in my aria I have to agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast