Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy office furniture

Thanks

Where to buy office furniture

So I am on the lookout for new office furniture, any reccomendations from anyone as to where I can go online to buy some? I found obros.co.za but they have no prices and expect me to ask them the price!
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably much like you, I did a quick Google search. None of the results I looked at have pricing!

What quality are you looking for? Makro have prices in their online catalogue, but the quality is more "functional" than "special."

3. Thanks given for this post:

Chatmaster (30-Mar-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Probably much like you, I did a quick Google search. None of the results I looked at have pricing!

What quality are you looking for? Makro have prices in their online catalogue, but the quality is more "functional" than "special."
    China town has some interesting stuff if you in Jhb. The one near Langlaagte.
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

5. Thanks given for this post:

Chatmaster (30-Mar-09)

Thanks
    We currently have Cherry wood finish furniture, so I am pretty much looking for some furniture that will fit in with it nicely. The irony is that if any of these places online, advertised their prices they most probably would have had a sale already, frankly I do not trust them enough to buy from them in future simply because they are trying to avoid the pricing competition online. I am to say the least totally shocked to see how badly these sites are designed business wise. I think the first company that puts prices and a proper shop live will make a killing...
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Hi Roelof,

I do a lot of websites for antiques and furniture, there is a firm belief by some that by not putting prices on their website they force the visitor to call or come to their shop where they can then make additional sales. This is their way of measuring the effectiveness of their website.

More on your topic, recently I had a fantastic 8 seater red oak table made by a carpenter (recommended by one of my furniture clients), he took about 4 weeks to make the table and the quality is second to none. If you are looking for something custom made (which costs about the same as factory stuff) then let me know and I will dig up his number.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mahoonas View Post
    I do a lot of websites for antiques and furniture, there is a firm belief by some that by not putting prices on their website they force the visitor to call or come to their shop where they can then make additional sales. This is their way of measuring the effectiveness of their website.
    I have put prices on my website and note that a lot of other printing companies don't. I get in business from that, but I have found that even with prices I still get requests for quotes and just use the website prices. My impression is that showing prices gives the browser an idea of your price levels and have started, with dating the pricelist when it was updated. The wisdom in printing is that each job is customised to each customer but in the end once you know what the customer expects you can do a price list.
    Last edited by IanF; 31-Mar-09 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've got to say this discussion has got me thinking about my company website. Maybe putting some indicator prices in there wouldn't hurt. As Ian says, even if it's tough to put up a pricelist as such, people like to get some sort of ballpark figure in their head.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Maybe putting some indicator prices in there wouldn't hurt. As Ian says, even if it's tough to put up a pricelist as such, people like to get some sort of ballpark figure in their head.
    With my services being pretty much defined by what the client wants to make, I struggle with this. I could work on trying to put up some sort of hybrid pricing - a combo of fixed price "items" along with variable pricing (e.g. hourly).

The cost of developing electronic things seems to scare most individuals away, although companies seem to see the value more easily.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think your line is spared this dilemma, Duncan.

Thanks
    Remember if you put prices up on your site - you MUST keep them current.

I score quite a bit because I often hear that I am the first place that has been called where the price quoted on the phone is the same as on the website. This creates big impressive points and after that its an easy sale.

It seems there is a general mistrust of prices on the net. I think this is because of two main factors - one they are not kept up to date and two, prices quoted are lower than actual in order to entice the buyer to call and start the sale process. There may be a third factor which involves not quoting a price inclusive of vat and and forgetting to mention package and postage costs for those doing the ecommerce thing - price not all inclusive.

For me the lack of a price doesnt entice me to phone and ask but rather look further until I find someone with a price. Even a ballpark would work.

Duncan - Perhaps some examples of previous projects would give an indication. I may want one box with a simple pc board in but avoid the whole thing because I assume its too expensive. If you indicate that its only R10 a box I might say..'hey thats cheap'!, 'I should talk to Duncan'. But then you must tell upfront that I need to buy 10,000 to get that price and one actual costs R10,000.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

13. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (02-Apr-09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast