Thread: Hospitality Industry Assistance Please

Gold Member
    Thanks

Hospitality Industry Assistance Please

Hiya All

I am doing some research on a hospitality industry package and would love to hear from anyone and everyone what they expect from guesthouses and establishments when they go there. Anything would be great! Ta very muchly!

So maybe under 3 headings

What do you expect?

What ticks you off?

What makes you remember the experience as great?
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Expectations:
    Clean, quiet, "fresh" linen, pillow options, well laid out cupboards, courtesy coffee, tea, sugar, tea whitener if there is no fresh milk, bath and shower option, plug points for laptop & electric shaver, some desktop work space, good breakfast, clear guide to services available.

Ticks me off:
    Bad TV reception/signal quality issues, fridge not plugged in, not enough plug points to handle the appliances supplied, noisy passages, faulty door locks, slamming and squeaky doors, room not made up by 2.00p.m., blue or grey scrambled eggs.

Impressive:
    Invisible service, a good view from a smoking balcony, bath robes, good dinner options within easy striking distance, comfortable lounge, a "you're welcome" attitude from all the staff.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Expectations: clean room, bathroom & linen, quick service with a smile (I'm PAYING after all!!!)

Turn-offs: Leaking toilets/dripping taps/windows not secure so you can hear the wind howling, 1 teaspoon of milk per cup of coffee provided and only replaced once a day, battles with appliances, bad TV reception. Professing to be 5 star and I can actually do a better plastering job than what is there. Notices in bathroom that if you want your towels washed you have to request this service????

Lasting impression: Meet my expectations and I'm yours for life.

Thanks
    Being in this industry, I would also like to know the answer to these points. Always looking for a better way to give a decent service.

So far I would like to ask - Dave do you really look for a robe in the room to be impressed?
    Morticia - How many times a day should the coffee story be replaced? How about a cup or two in the room and a central coffee source or kitchen for a continued supply.

My own thoughts from my travels are:-
    Expectations - Clean fresh room with all the trimmings, Friendly owners/managers and staff.
    Turnoffs - Rude abrupt service, well used linen, noisy guests, showers where the water hugs the walls as it trickles out, canoe springless beds, mouldy breakfast served by indifferent staff.
    Impress - Knowledgeable hosts that go the distance to care about their business, hosts that shoot the noisy guests.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Dave do you really look for a robe in the room to be impressed?
    It might seem funny, but it's even bulkier in luggage than a towel - and you supply towels I'm sure.

Marq, knowing you location is in Durban it's not an issue in summer. But on chilly evenings in winter, it's pretty special. And I don't think they're much more expensive than good towels. For hospitality industry folks on the highveld - take note!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    My own - for Marq's benefit:

I expect:
    Good friendly service and sufficient knowledge by all staff of the establishment and surrounds Eg. The gardener must know where I can park and whether it is safe for me to go to the corner cafe on my own after dark.
    Fresh milk - not Cremora, not little bits of milk, proper fresh MILK!
    Absolute hygienic conditions - especially the bathroom!
    Bug spray or alternative.

Ticks me off:
    Broken stuff - eg doors, windows, taps, etc

Makes me applaud:

Pretty and unusual decor and or view and or garden
    Bathrobes and Towels
    Access to cellphone chargers, new toothbrush and hairbrush, even if via a note in the extras file
    Shampoo, sherry, ant- mossie goeters, a special note, a well laid out (extra's file) such as where to eat, how to order in, what to expect at breakfast time and the name of the resident cat or dog!
    A note to advise if it is safe to leave a window open.

PS! Tks to those who have posted
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

7. Thanks given for this post:

Marq (06-Apr-09)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.