Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer spying network touched 103 countries

Thanks

Computer spying network touched 103 countries

Computer spying network touched 103 countries.

The operation probably started around 2004, the time security researchers noticed that many of these institutions were being sent bogus e-mail messages with executable files attached to them, according to Mikko Hypponen, director of antivirus research at F-Secure. Hypponen, who has been tracking the attacks for years, says that GhostNet's tactics have evolved considerably from those early days. "For the past three-and-a-half years or so it's been fairly advanced and fairly technical."

"It's really good to see a spotlight on this while thing right now, because it's been going on for so long and nobody's been paying attention," he added.

that's a long time to know about something and only get real notice now

The University of Toronto report classified close to 30 percent of the infected computers as being "high-value" targets. Those machines belong to the ministry of foreign affairs of Bangladesh, Barbados, Bhutan, Brunei, Indonesia, Iran, Latvia and the Philippines. Also infected were computers belonging to the embassies of Cyprus, Germany, India, Indonesia, Malta, Pakistan, Portugal, Romania, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.

International groups infected included the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) secretariat, SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) and the Asian Development Bank; some news organizations such as the U.K. affiliate of the Associated Press; and an unclassified NATO computer.
    that's a scary amount of people. fortunately neither nigeria or south africa are on that list. guess we can spot a screwy link miles away

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see the target seems to have been politically sensitive information. I wonder how much is being done against commercial fraud and spying operations.

Is there an easy way to spot a remote access tool on your computer?

Suspended
    Thanks
    See if you worry about spy programs just use good firewalls better yet if you have the money invest in Juniper or Packeteer. I have worked with both these products and they are so powerful it is really scary! Nothing! Goes in or out without your say so and everything gets recorded and stored and you can also make your LAN, VPN and internet sessions unreadable for spying eyes. It encrypts everything on a packet level with no trouble at all. I can also email a telephone number for experts on both these systems but it just remember these systems are not cheap but worth it because it is really powerful hardware and code dedicated to security like nothing I have ever seen before it is really potent stuff. Also Google the names and have a look for yourself.
    Last edited by insulin; 30-Mar-09 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake or 2

Thanks
    It all begs the question regards conspiracy theory. I have a friend that is the ultimate conspiracy theorist. He really takes it seriously and says stuff that make alot of people laugh and look at him strange. (like anti satellite spyware in his garden) Even myself on the odd occasion with a couple of the comments.. should we laugh, maybe not.
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Information Monitoring System Also known as the IMS system. It existed since 2000 and will only be made public come 2012 when the UN introduces its new policy on world terror. The IMS is connected to all publicly owned satellites, hardwire and also the intercontinental back bone cables that connect the world with the world. IMS once active will be able to scan for illegal digital content no matter the inscription. It will scan everything from e-mail to web-pages and will do so in real time thus the information is up to date. With its advanced tracking systems the IMS will be able to pinpoint any computer no matter where it is in the world. It will be able to pinpoint it and track its location no matter if it uses 3G or if it’s tapped into telephone lines illegally. IMS is a reality and it is coming. It will be up and running coming 2012. All networks will be scanned all the time. Think this is a conspiracy? Think again... All the intelligence agencies are using a version of the IMS as we speak. Yes it is already in use... However our constitutional rights are still hindering its progress. Yet right now negotiations are in play. Once done you will see that all internet systems will by law be monitored come 2010 the systems will then be tested and come 2012 it will be in full effect. The internet will then be another big brother tool.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's about time Google had some competition

Do you think it will be able to track down the bastards responsible for all the anatomy enhancer spam?

Thanks
    the thing is, they're still getting in the usual ways. they mentioned a link in an email that had the return address of "campaign@freetibet.org." these attacks are directed at human error. you can have the best firewall in the world, if a user clicks "yes" it's going to be worth nothing.

Suspended
    Thanks
    The systems that I have suggested can and actually do prevent anyone from clicking anything unless they have a password and then the system will still contact the administrator automatically and ask if it is okay for the user to view the file or click yes. It is really that powerful. I am not joking these systems is active and intelligent enough to make sure the user doesn’t do anything stupid.

Thanks
    or do anything at all...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    or do anything at all...
    You read my mind. It all becomes so manually supervised you've got to have someone constantly on standby to authorise.

I can see some and going this route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.