Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral integrity for sale.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Moral integrity for sale.

A nation's integrity is for sale.
    Sorry - make that sold!

To refuse the Dalai Lama entry into the country for a peace conference... How do you justify that?
    The government's decision to deny the Dalai Lama an entry visa into the country may well have cost the country its peace conference.

On Tuesday, conveners of the peace conference hastily postponed the event indefinitely because of the controversy around the government's decision to bar the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader.

This means South Africa's Hollywood princess and newly appointed UN Peace Ambassador, Charlize Theron, will not be visiting the country.

The Dalai Lama - the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize laureate - was among the international dignitaries billed to attend Friday's peace conference in Johannesburg. The conference had the backing of South African laureates Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu and F W de Klerk.

Tutu and De Klerk have said they will boycott the event if the Dalai Lama is not given a visa.

A visibly disappointed Chief Mandla Mandela, who is Mandela's grandson, lashed out at the government for treating the Tibetan leader as if he were persona non grata in the country. "To deny someone like the Dalai Lama, whom all other laureates hold in high esteem, is sad," said the chief, who is one of the aborted conference's organisers, with Premier Soccer League chairperson Irvin Khoza.

Thabo Masebe, speaking for President Kgalema Motlanthe, reiterated the government's position that the Dalai Lama's visit would not be in the best interests of the country.

Meanwhile, China's ministerial counsellor at its embassy in Pretoria, Dai Bing, was quoted on Tuesday as saying his government had urged Pretoria to bar the Dalai Lama, or risk damaging relations between his country and South Africa.
    full story from IOL here
    In an unusual break in ranks, even Health minister Barbara Hogan has publicly criticised the decision.

I guess the IOU on the ANC's funding from China has been called.

Thanks
    Thabo Masebe, speaking for President Kgalema Motlanthe, reiterated the government's position that the Dalai Lama's visit would not be in the best interests of the country.
    What really bugs me.. and IT REALLY BUGS me is when something clearly is a stuff up like this, they just talk absolute cuck. It's so frustrating
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    I will only say this: Peace is not profitable but war is very profitable. So what do you do? Make sure the peace talks are ineffective... The story speaks for itself.

Thanks
    Barbara Hogan

"The fact that the government has refused entry to the Dalai Lama is an example of a government who is dismissive of human rights," she said before adding that the government ought to apologise to South African citizens.
    10 bucks she gets rapped over the knuckles for this for "not understanding politics"
    Garth

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garthu View Post
    10 bucks she gets rapped over the knuckles for this for "not understanding politics"
    I'm telling you the ANC have a tiger by the tail with Barbara Hogan. She doesn't seem the type to quietly toe the party line on moral issues.

Thanks
    NICE! About time...
    Garth

Thanks
    There we go
    "At the moment, she must be called to account for her conduct. We can't have an organisation in which anarchy reigns where people just wake up and say whatever they want to say," Godongwana said.
    Anarchy?? Thats pretty strong. Quite clear you may not have your own opinion in the ANC. Called for her to resign. Anyway, i dont think she'll go down without a fight as you say
    Garth

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (26-Mar-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    1) We cannot upset China by allowing the Dalai Lama to visit SA. I mean really, what were you thinking????!!!!!

2) Barbara Hogan has just been promoted to Minister of Garden Services and Other Ancillary Services.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I urge you all to read a book titled Wild Swans 3 daughters of China by Jung Chang. This country is in deep trouble. The parallels are uncanny. The ramifications earth shattering. I feel sickened as we have been violated as a nation.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Barbara Hogan for President!

12. Thanks given for this post:

Morticia (26-Mar-09)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast