Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral integrity for sale.

Thanks
    Wait....wait,........ i need to get more popcorn.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks

Dalai Lama and China and the ANC

Why is it that -

* We bank at a bank that is owned by the Chinese? [Standard]
    * We watched the Beijing Olympics
    * We buy Chinese cars (Chana)
    * We buy chinese products (despite the Melamine scare)
    * we do business with the Chinese, etc etc

yet we kick up a fuss when the Chinese communist government tells its communist comrades in the ANC not to allow the Dalai Lama into South Africa or else they will pull their funding?

Did we really expect any other reaction?

Sieg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    I urge you all to read a book titled Wild Swans 3 daughters of China by Jung Chang. This country is in deep trouble.
    Care to outline the thinking in the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    I think there are still some people under the delusion that human rights are actually important in South Africa. When last did SA make ANY foreign policy decision that supported human rights? Ummm....wait....I'm still trying to think of one.....give me a while....
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    I think there are still some people under the delusion that human rights are actually important in South Africa.
    That would be me for one

But wait - I'm in South Africa. And I am a South African. And so are all those other people who are miserable about this atrocity - including Barbara Hogan

Maybe the "don't care about human rights" crew is just some small camp somewhere - like the top brass of the Alliance of Notorious Cronies or something.

So has the ANC's cover of democracy, freedom, equality before the law, individual rights etc. finally been blown?
    Last edited by Dave A; 26-Mar-09 at 12:18 PM.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    Care to outline the thinking in the book?
    Duncan it is the most readable book ever about the history of China under the communistic leadership of Mao Tse Tsung - told without malice by a Chinese female highlighting the dire circumstances under which an entire nation lived as a result of a really great ideology that went wrong. It is the most enlightening book I have ever read. It is also very well written.

There are times that I had to simply put it down and stare blankly as the inhumanity was too awful to digest, especially when compared to what is going down in this country. Read it! It's absolutely life changing. I will hopefully become a far more proactive citizen because of this book.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    Why is it that -

* We bank at a bank that is owned by the Chinese? [Standard]
    * We watched the Beijing Olympics
    * We buy Chinese cars (Chana)
    * We buy chinese products (despite the Melamine scare)
    * we do business with the Chinese, etc etc

yet we kick up a fuss when the Chinese communist government tells its communist comrades in the ANC not to allow the Dalai Lama into South Africa or else they will pull their funding?

Sieg
    Sieg, yes! I expect the leaders of this country who are by no means stupid to employ the very best lawyers who should not be stupid either, and to draft agreements according to THIS countries laws and requirements and to delete and bring to the fore the clauses that may later come back and bite us in the backside. I expect that. They earn a fricken fortune!! As far as I am concerned, if this was my CEO that had to bow down in this manner to a dictatorial client because he "missed" the obvious, he would be out on the street.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I also read an autobiography "Mao's little Soldiers" - along similar vein. Name of the author escapes me now (good heavens, who has a cure for memory lapses??) but I'm sure it's "google-able".

Thanks
    I have to agree with Debbie here. It's atrocious that something as important as democracy and rights can be blown aside for a "fear" of intruding on a friendship. There are often occasions i have turned away perfectly good money (as it just all is!) because a of racism, ethics etc. Sometimes it hurts, but to me its more important that your true colours show. I don't think this about politics, it's about back pockets, lined at whatever cost.. Sure ANC's cover is blown!

Dave - Hogan for President!!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Apparently the visa was refused because they don't want politics to interfere with the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

I see there has been quite a lot of reminiscing about the 1980's in all the fuss. Anyone else remember "No normal sport in an abnormal society"?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All quite predictable.
    Health Minister Barbara Hogan has apologised to her Cabinet colleagues after criticising her own government's controversial decision to bar the Dalai Lama last month.

Government spokesman Themba Maseko said in Pretoria yesterday that the cabinet had accepted the apology and the minister wouldn't be fired.

Hogan had been questioned about her remarks that the government must apologise for refusing to issue a visa to the Tibetan spiritual leader.

He said the minister was able to give the cabinet the context in which she had criticised her own government, and then tendered an apology.

"The minister is not going anywhere. She remains the minister of health, she is not going to be removed from her post.
    full story from IOL here
    And they all lived happily ever after...

11. Thanks given for this post:

Graeme (18-Apr-09)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast