Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD Image

Thanks

HDD Image

I'm looking for HDD imaging software but i suppose i should rather tell you why. Perhaps there is a better way or i might be in the mood to create more work for myself than necessary.

Either way, this is what i want to do"

In about four days my new 500g HDD will arrive and i'm going to split it into 3 partitions.
    1 - C:\
    2 - data/backup
    3 - image of Drive C to restore in case something goes wrong.

I've found Powerquest Drive Image 2002 but don't know if there is a newer better piece of software that i could use. after all it is seven years old.
    I've googled my fingers to the bone but the majority of HDD copiing is by software that clone one drive and puts it on another. Will that work from one partition to another or perhaps a better question to start would be which one would be best for the job?
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    image of Drive C to restore in case something goes wrong
    this is assuming that the thing that "goes wrong" isn't a failure of the HDD itself - killing your backup at the same time as your other 'drives'.

Personally I use a removable drive tray for weekly sync and backup of my C drive, with the removable drive being identical in partitions, size, etc as the main drive used in the PC.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While we're on the subject, suggestions for the best drive-to-drive app would be appreciated.

Thanks
    If one of the hard drives you are using is a Seagate drive you can use the Seagate Disc Wizard software to clone the drive. It is a free download and available from the Seagate website. You can also make an image of your OS if installed in Windows to a different partition or other media. It is written for Seagate by the Acronis people. There is also a bootable disc builder which you can use to restore or clone a hard drive without booting into Windows.

Be aware that it is quite a hefty download - 142MB if I remember correctly.

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    this is assuming that the thing that "goes wrong" isn't a failure of the HDD itself - killing your backup at the same time as your other 'drives'.

Personally I use a removable drive tray for weekly sync and backup of my C drive, with the removable drive being identical in partitions, size, etc as the main drive used in the PC.
    I'll still use my old drive to keep copies of everything important.
    Can't wait for Blueray to get cheaper. 25GB would be much better than 4.7
    But for the price of a blue ray writer i could buy a stack of HDD and never need to write backups to disc.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    Be aware that it is quite a hefty download - 142MB if I remember correctly.
    I'm not even going to try downloading it. Every couple of minutes i have to disconnect and reconnect in order for my internet to function properly ( all thanks to Vodacom not wanting to upgrade our cell tower and Telkom whose service provision is only slightly faster than walking.)

Anyone heard of Hiren's boot CD? I've been told that there is a hdd imaging software on it but i don't know how much it would cost nor where to get it.
    I'm sure there might be someplace on the internet where i could get it but please take into account my terrible internet connection. (once again due to MTN, Vodacom and Telkom)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ghost it! Use norton Ghost. It is a powerful program that is able to restore the image that it made to either a partition or raw drive. It is the bet program for the job. Over 300 computers done and only failed 20 times. not bad.. not free... Yet it is a good investment

Thanks
    I had a problem with Ghost .....

worked for me numerous times, until I wanted to change PCs. Found that I could restore the disk image to the new PC, but the PC would not boot as it was missing system files for the new motherboard or some components in the new PC.

I still use it for a ghost copy of my C drive ( to restore the raw OS as it was when first loaded ), but use Goodsync to mirror all my data and work to my laptop. That way, I can travel on a moments notice, and always have a current backup.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ever thought of just redoing the system? See once the image is loaded you just take your XP disk and do a reinstall. In the Reinstall it will ask you for the drivers?? And your stuff will still be there when it is done??

Thanks
    I'll give it a try once my new HDD arrives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast