Some may argue and say that the mobile phone and notebook computer made the mobile office possible. Then came the mobile internet phone and you had e-mail, fax and phone in one device. Your notebook can connect to your mobile internet device and you could get information instantly.

This being said how many people do you know of that work at home fulltime and make good money. No I am not talking about the R150 scams you get. I am talking about a real job. In my lifetime I only connected six systems to talk to an office server and that the individual was working from home full time. All of them bookkeepers.

So even with technology we still see office workers driving to and from work. The only acceptation is the boss. Everyone else sits at work typing reports and stuff. Things they could have done at home with no problems at all. You don’t need an office space because all documents can be converted to digital format and stored on disk ready to be accessed by VPN systems across the globe with no trouble at all, it is an easy cheap technology.

Still I see office building being built and I wonder why? Face it almost every aspect of a modern administrative worker is done on computer this include fax, phone and email.

What went wrong?