Thread: Technology.

Suspended
    Thanks

Technology.

Some may argue and say that the mobile phone and notebook computer made the mobile office possible. Then came the mobile internet phone and you had e-mail, fax and phone in one device. Your notebook can connect to your mobile internet device and you could get information instantly.

This being said how many people do you know of that work at home fulltime and make good money. No I am not talking about the R150 scams you get. I am talking about a real job. In my lifetime I only connected six systems to talk to an office server and that the individual was working from home full time. All of them bookkeepers.

So even with technology we still see office workers driving to and from work. The only acceptation is the boss. Everyone else sits at work typing reports and stuff. Things they could have done at home with no problems at all. You don’t need an office space because all documents can be converted to digital format and stored on disk ready to be accessed by VPN systems across the globe with no trouble at all, it is an easy cheap technology.

Still I see office building being built and I wonder why? Face it almost every aspect of a modern administrative worker is done on computer this include fax, phone and email.

What went wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good question!

When I think of things that happen in my office, I'd suggest for all its progress, the technology bridge still isn't the same as physically being there in many situations.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I totally agree that the physical nature of an office is sometimes necessary. Face to face conversations and other activities that dictate social behaviour. However a PA is not the person that types out reports capture data do research manage report systems and do the basic administrative needs. See what I am pointing out is that you keep the necessary staff in an office environment and the rest in there home environment. With once a week or once a moth meetings.

In the IT world we almost never see the office because we are always on the road to go and do work. So our offices were closed down and we work strictly from home. We get our jobs via SMS and then phone the main office when the work is done or tell them what we need. This gets shipped to us or the company in question and we do the work.

The bad news is that we cannot eliminate travel because I myself have about 80 to a 100 sights. The sad thing is I am doing the work of about 80 to a 100 technicians. I do feel that this system is robbing IT technicians from their jobs a dedicated technician is the better option but no one is using this option? I wonder why that is? Maybe it is just cheaper to have one technician running around like a headless chicken than having 80 technicians but whatever happened to job creation? This is steeling jobs!

Last edited by insulin; 22-Mar-09 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    I am doing the work of about 80 to a 100 technicians. I do feel that this system
    Insulin,
    If I was you I would change my name to superman. That is either utter nonsense or or technicians are morons. I can not stand nonsensical statements please make sense!
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Suspended
    Thanks

Angry Ah yes I always forget that a lot of people live in Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Insulin,
    If I was you I would change my name to superman. That is either utter nonsense or or technicians are morons. I can not stand nonsensical statements please make sense!
    Ah yes I always forget that a lot of people live in Utopia. Ok let me spell it out for you we have fifteen contracts with bottle stores. Seven contracts with bookkeepers, then there is the countless home businesses and small shops I really did lose count. The thing is that we are 4 technicians that drives about 1000km a day easy... and we do a lot of support for other companies. My calls per day is between 15 and 20 calls. This include anything from rebuilds to reinstallations to server connection to backup systems anything basically. But hay if 15 to 20 calls a day doesn’t prove to you that we really do 80 to a 100 sights a week then kick me of now or better yet I will not post here anymore. So eish!
    Last edited by insulin; 23-Mar-09 at 01:31 PM. Reason: People where upset about my use of language

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aah Yes! That feels much better!

Thanks
    Anyone who does technical work with a computer/router/gets worked to oblivion boet. I think that's what IanF is trying to say.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    Ah yes I always forget that a lot of people live in Utopia. Ok let me spell it out for you we have fifteen contracts with bottle stores. Seven contracts with bookkeepers, then there is the countless home businesses and small shops I really did lose count. The thing is that we are 4 technicians that drives about 1000km a day easy... and we do a lot of support for other companies. My calls per day is between 15 and 20 calls. This include anything from rebuilds to reinstallations to server connection to backup systems anything basically. But hay if 15 to 20 calls a day doesn’t prove to you that we really do 80 to a 100 sights a week then kick me of now or better yet I will not post here anymore. So F*ck you buddy!

Insulin,
    What is nonsensical to me in utopia, you do the work of 80 technicians in my utopia that is impossible. Then you travel 1000km a day easy. Assume an average speed of 100km an hour. That is 10 hours a day traveling plus 15 to 20 calls at say 30 min so 7.5 hours on that. Total at least 17.5 hours day work. That is impossible unless you are superman.
    Now if 80 technicians in days before you did your calls then they did less than 1 call a day. So can you explain these anomalies. I have no doubt you work hard and are busy but can you make what you say believable and not try back it up with comments that are impossible. Also lets try and keep this civil.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I also work from home, when I feel like it, or drive to the office if I feel like a change of scenery. Everything I do can be done from either home or the office. Technology does play a huge role in making this a success. With the faster ADSL / iBurst / 3G technologies we have today, VPN is a real possibility, and often a necessity. But even without it, I can carry all my data with me on a USB HDD, and then just sync it with either my home or office PC (laptops are a bit unpractical for me). My cellphone, home PC & office PC are all connected to my IMAP mail server, so I always get email wherever I am, and everything else can be done online.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks

Unhappy Only a guilty person will try and explain themselves

Only a guilty person will try and explain themselves. However reason demands justification. So I will say this:

You must really think we are stupid or we cannot plan our day. First of we work out the distance between each call. Each call represents a large or small company thus each company that uses us do not employ their own technicians. Thus you are a dedicated technician for that company.

We start at about six in the morning and go home about 10 at night. That is if we don’t sleep in the car. Now it is no superman story, we are normal boys and girls that drive really far every day. To dangerous arias in this country.

The fact is that if each company had to employ an individual dedicated to them that there would have been 80 people employed to work full time each working at a single sight.

And all my speed fines will point to the fact that we drive about 130 to 140km an hour out of necessity because we work on a 4 hour turn over and get penalized for being late. Needless to say it is most profitable for our company to work this way but I feel robbed because we don’t get a lot of money. Fact is my car get’s paid more money than what I do.

The same is true for all of us working here. But to be slapped in the face like this was uncalled for. So my reason dictates that if someone slaps you in the face like this then sorry for my language but I don’t feel that what I said was in anyway unbelievable because it is the truth.

It is spelled out with bad spelling I know but I hope now you can understand my frustration when people attack you for every single thing.

So... whatever.

oh! One last thing. The amount of money these companies pay the company I work for will easily justify a full time technician...