Thread: Too busy to pay attention?

Silver Member
    Thanks

Too busy to pay attention?

Forgetting the Wiki made me aware of the fact just how much being "constantly busy" causes - "attention deficit".

There are probably quite a few things that I could clear up quickly if I just had the time to "pay attention".

I often say it is a "cost" of small business, and know for a fact that we lose money, purely because we don't have the time to: get that competitive insurance quote, read Wiki, and take advantage of "Free advertising" on TFS. I often read abbreviations and just don't have the time to find out what it means (IMHO for example), yes! I did work this one out in the end.

Frequently I read a post, and then proceed to try to write an answer - then delete it - as I realise there is too much about the issue that I don't know, then wonder off to read it up on the internet!
    In what seems to be 5 minutes I realise I have "lost" an hour at least!

I would so appreciate an hour "free" - idiotic really - realise that I am seriously addicted to time wasting on the forum and internet!
    Wish I was half as skilled as I am at procrastination, as I am at other stuff!

I believe statistics show that the majority of employees spend most of their day in procratinating and unproductive activies - so it should be seriously studied?

A SETA NQF for that could be rather fun! How would one evaluate the outcome!

There was a episode on TV (Family BBC?) when the crazy older brother was going to sell "time", and everyone said he was nuts!

When he replied that had the "said purchased hour" been paid for - it would be spent wisely - thus providing the value of paying for it!
    Can completely identify with that!

Is it possible to shift this reply to General Chat, or jokes? once you have read it Dave?

Yvonne

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (20-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can totally relate.

My salvation is a to-do list which helps order the priorities.
    The other is conciously taking time off to clear the mind and start again.

When I remember to do either of the above, of course

Suspended
    Thanks

The mind is a wonderful paradox

The mind is a wonderful paradox of opportunity and infinite beauty if we will it to be.

My suggestion is get into meditation. I do this a lot. Just to zone-out and lock the world out for as long as possible. Because let me tell you no problem solves itself and hacking away at it will just blind you to the solution.

Take time in making time and just stop... I cannot tell you how long it took me to get this right but it pays for itself. If I work on a mainframe system or so called servers with about six to seven hundred people accessing it you know that if something goes wrong it is your job. It is at these sights I found out that if I just take a moment to view the problem for what it is I can fix it in no time at all.

Yes my boss gets irritated when I just stare at the system. But when he screams at me and tells me to go do something else I just stand up and walk out. Then after two days he calls me back in and asks me to take a look at the system again because they cannot fix it. Then I just walk back into the room and tell him to leave me alone. After I am alone I just visualise the problem from the user’s point of view up to the server and then I sit down and fix it in about 30min.

My job is one the line 24 7. I cannot make mistakes... So this is what I do. And yes my IPod is my best friend in these situations. Take it from me; I know what stress can do to you. But I also know what a good point of view is worth in a difficult situation. So take the time and get that point of view thing down first before you just hack away at the problem.