Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid State Hard Drives

Suspended
    Thanks
    Stability is key to any mass storage device. Without it you basically have a data disaster waiting to happen: “When last did you do a back-up” The sequel featuring a sweaty technician running around desperately to find the missing disk of doom! His SATA controllers has blown the RAID is gone! And all the drives have been burned-out due to a dirty power spike!!!!! All he has is his backup devices! Will he survive! Will he get the system back up and running!!!!!?

Coming to Cinema near you! WHEN LAST DID YOU DO A BACK-UP

The horror continues...

Thanks
    I love the post, and the point is very true. It is not just when last did you do a backup- but there are other things to consider. Can another tech redo the systems for you, is very documented. Have the backups been tested, can you even restore from them. There is not point in doing backups if you can't access teh information at all.

the research I have done in the past on SSD shows that they are great and the cost per meg factor is high. but I think test would need to be done on the drives to see if there is a real gain. I think is will all depend on the type of application you run on them.
    We where looking at then for a online SQL server. the other problem as point out is teh BUS speed. It is all very well have quick drives, but if teh BUS cant deliver, then the speed of thedrive is pointless.

Thanks
    Before you empty your bank accounts & pawn off assets so you can afford a decent size SSD, maybe wait a few months and see if the newer RHD's from DataSlide work out: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...de_berkeleydb/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12