Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Earth hour

Suspended
    Thanks
    In retrospect earth hour was over ambiguous and if left up to interpretation one may say it did not achieve anything. Once you realize that industry is just playing the earth game because they are legally forced to do so conveys a clear message. Fact is industry will dump poison into our rivers if someone didn’t stop them from doing it. Perhaps the inconvenient truth is that no-one cares about the environment.

Thanks
    Well, we're slowly living longer and longer than we used to (what with our health advancements), and there are less threats to our existence. It's all good saying that cars are emitting gases, and plants are creating wonderful smogs above our cities, but we still have to consider that there are more people on the earth and there is a direct relationship between the number of people and the number of emissions.

One of the adverts on animal planet features a cow making farts, and requesting for us to eat more greens and less cows so that emissions are less. Surely WE then replace the cows in terms of emissions through our own posteriors.

Another issue I have is with body heat. When you're in your car, it's fairly cold, and you're driving to work, the windscreen fogs up because you're producing heat. same thing happens in a crowded area. Imagine a room with an aircon and 100 people. the room is just big enough to fit all of them in comfortably. The effect of the aircon is countered by the people's own body heat. now take 99 of them out and leave one guy in there and he gets cold.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though we've got people trying to "go green," the problem isn't just what we do and how we do it. it's also us in general.

The other way of putting it is We're f**cked already

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    It's all good saying that cars are emitting gases, and plants are creating wonderful smogs above our cities, but we still have to consider that there are more people on the earth and there is a direct relationship between the number of people and the number of emissions.
    Well, there is the problem. It is not about cars and gasses and coal and CO2 – the problem is actually all about people, and health and our well-being.

The whole carbon issue is a big marketing disaster – the word is out, but the message is broken. There is so much more to say here, but I'd need a day (or maybe a few years) to write about it. It is all about moving towards a better life (and all the benefits of it), rather than losing something – like exercise versus dieting. Measure what is important and we might start getting somewhere.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Suspended
    Thanks
    The fact is one eruption from an active volcano does more harm in a single day then what we can do in a month. That is excluding nuts with nuclear bombs. Now you see the problem is not people we are not the problem the problem is greed. Thanks to greed we have no equilibrium thus the one will destroy the other and this is fact... as long as we think money is important well forget it we will not see the next 100 years sorry.
    Last edited by insulin; 03-Apr-09 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    The fact is one eruption from an active volcano does more harm in a single day then what we can do in a month. That is excluding nuts with nuclear bombs. Now you see the problem is not people we are not the problem the problem is greed. Thanks to greed we no equilibrium thus the one will destroy the other and this is fact... as long as we think money is important well forget it we will not see the next 100 years sorry.
    still going to take at least one person to push the button

Thanks
    Can't we try to get a negative population growth rate?
    It might work if we had another 500 years left to work with.
    Another option might be to nuke china = 2 billion gone.
    A third of all people gone. But all the cheap Chinese tech would also be gone.

Dunno what options we have left. Perhaps it will all end in a Battlefield 2142 scenario.
    Or we should just start shooting already.
    Anyone got a .338 Lupa Magnum i could borrow? Or a M24?
    Last edited by Loman; 04-Apr-09 at 09:21 AM.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    well, if it follows the fallout 3 way of looking at it, china blasts US, US blasts china, china somehow turns into super mutants and come to the US looking to cause pain and eat flesh of the survivors

Suspended
    Thanks
    Again with the killing of the people thing... Stop thinking of how you are willing to take down everything that farts and start thinking on how we can do things differently. Yes we can do with a bit of birth control. But the truth is we need to change. Our mindset on how to grow food must change. Our bodies must become healthy and our minds focused rather than be a bunch of pub crawling idiots. Humans have mind and therefore we have the power. It is time to let go of money and stuff. It’s time to realize that we have a much bigger responsibility at hand. It is time for change...

Suspended
    Thanks
    twinscythe12332 I loved Fallout 3 and am still playing it but I don’t do missions anymore I just play my own survivor game where I go find food and trade and stuff. I thought that if the game developers realized that people will actually play a survivor vision and just do update missions from the net that this game have the potential to become the best game ever.

Also fallout 3 shows the human spirit to survive and how little we need to actually live a good life. I loved this game and it will remain a classic in my eyes for years to come. Also think about it... it fits into the green earth mentality in a twisted way so yes... Cool stuff...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234