Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NQF has a future!

Thanks

NQF has a future!

This was based on the fact that the country has become so driven with the NQF systems and proving your ability in your line... It's a true story!

Recently I was on the way from Bloemfontein to Johannesburg and I was stopped for speeding by a traffic officer. There were 3 cops and no other “customers”. Before she could write the ticket, I asked her who the device operator was. When she told me his name, I politely requested that he provide me with his ID document and his certificate of competency to operate the speed trapping device. She went to the operator, came back, and said: “Sir, he says that he is very busy, you may go”. Score one for new-found knowledge!
    Imagine the loopholes, never considered before that this could all create!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

2. Thanks given for this post:

Graeme (12-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The product of an environment obsessed with bureaucratic certification.

Ironically I spent most of today in a briefing session about the new Organisational Framework of Occupations (OFO). The rules around training and certification are in for something of a revolution, by the looks of things.

Suspended
    Thanks

Thumbs down The NQF.

If I may... Is the NQF being recognized at all? I am NQF qualified and I am still working for a useless company. “Don’t tell my boss” Anyway most of my qualifications is NQF 4 and 3 with a few 2 between them. Still I am considered to be unschooled because I am not matriculated. I was told that the N qualification is the only qualification that is recognized. Then I was told by the college that they are not accepting new enrolments. CTC told me that they do not accept private students... So no education points to me sitting where I sit with NQF papers that I can use to whip my feed on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. There's all sorts of funny papers going around and people get the wrong idea. A good starting point is to do a search for your qualification here. Is it a registered qualification, and at what level?

Thanks
    Interesting... not sure i have the answers there. What i can say is we have basically been put in a no choice position. Get NQF4 or get out of the industry, principles like myself NQF5 which hasn't even been laid out yet - in other words according to the law every principle agent in the country is now illegal! Just a bit of forward thinking... not!

My wife is also not Matriculated, but still had no choice but to carry on with NQF4 which she did fine. She had to do extra "subjects", one being being proof of english ability. The way i understand now is that regardless of matric, she stands as qualified and cannot be turned away from industry based on Metric anymore. Like i say could stand to be corrected
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If the qualification requirements to perform a certain job changes so as to exclude people who are currently doing that function perfectly legitimately as things stand now, there needs to be some sort of a grandfather clause to accomodate those people.

The basic idea is you can't change the rules and in the course of doing so exclude people who are already earning a living in that occupation.

Suspended
    Thanks

Unhappy First of all thank you for trying to answer this strange question.

My NQF 4 is the real deal as far as I can tell. But again no nice new job no real life improvement or being recognized as a schooled individual. I spend a lot of time in doing the training courses and paid a lot for those courses. Really it was a massif amount of money for the training courses but at the time I thought it is an investment towards my future so I closed my eyes and did the deed.

Sadly no joy... So I gave up on trying to better myself because large companies still view me as an unschooled individual.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Being qualified doesn't guarantee you a job, or a decent job - it should improve your chances though. Insulin, what industry segment are your qualifications in?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Ironically I spent most of today in a briefing session about the new Organisational Framework of Occupations (OFO). The rules around training and certification are in for something of a revolution, by the looks of things.
    Dave, please can you elaborate on this!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to try to keep to a short answer.

It's probably no secret that Department of Labour and Department of Education have been butting heads over skills development. What probably isn't properly understood is the problem is not just one of territory; there is a fundamental clash. What Labour wants to recognise via training and certification is somewhat different to Education's idea of what education and training should consist of.

It comes down to Rules of Combination and to some extent Due Process. Perhaps the easiest way to illustrate this is with an example.

Let's say you want to train and certify someone as a machine minder in the textile industry. From an occupation point of view you identify a set of skills and knowledge that is required, put together a set of unit standards and paste it together into a skills course. Except the only way to register a unit standard is as part of a qualification. And to register a qualification the collection of unit standards that make up the qualification has to meet the Rules of Combination. And the Rules of Combination were drawn up and are protected by ivory tower academics who are clearly anal retentive.*

So what do you do if there isn't a registered unit standard that you need for a particular occupation?

Currently you have to develop a whole qualification. And people have been doing just that - mostly useless, unused and unwanted qualifications simply to find a way past the barriers that get thrown up.

Then we get to the rules of combination. What if the qualification is NQF level 4, but the on-the-ground maths level only needs to be NQF level 1? You can't do it. You have to include a minimum of NQF level 2 maths in the qualification, and even then expect a fight for it to be NQF level 3.

But the OFO is set to change all that.

Basically it will be an alternative route to certification without all the fiddling around. The main benefit is training and certification will be occupation specific, quite literally defined by the demands of that occupation, and the learners who come through the system should be really close to deployable immediately.

*I'm waiting to be slapped for that comment but whatever the flak, it was worth it.
    Last edited by Dave A; 16-Mar-09 at 10:02 PM.

12. Thank given for this post:

duncan drennan (17-Mar-09), Yvonne (17-Mar-09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast