Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: and I'm talking to?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I was patiently waiting for this thread to run into reams of posts, but alas! Tks to those who have offered your thoughts. I think this is such a tough subject, because if we do not use telesales, yet another marketing avenue closes down. The other has been cold calling, very few people see reps without an appointment. Spamming is frowned upon. SMS marketing contact not allowed. Pamphlet distribution destroys our rain forests.

The danger looming here is that the ability to sell will be limited to those with an advertising budget, obviously bigger means more - hence end of small business.??

So... ideas anyone??
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    This is a concern. I understand the new laws regards marketing are going to be really stringent. As estate agents, it has us concerned cause cold calls, flyers etc are what we do! The ways these laws are looking is that any contact in any manner (other than request or opt in) will be seen as illegal and carry some heavy penalties. I think its going to be a case of intelligent online marketing like cost effective google etc. The SEO guys will be smiling

Currently really getting my email and sms database ship shape and with as many contacts as possible in order to have a head start should these new laws come in
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    I haven't read this yet (waiting in my reading list), but try reading Seth Godin's Ideavirus. You can download the entire book as an ebook for free.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

4. Thanks given for this post:

garthu (21-Mar-09)

Thanks
    @DebbieD,
    "The danger looming here is that the ability to sell will be limited to those with an advertising budget, obviously bigger means more - hence end of small business.??

So... ideas anyone??"

The idea: All I can say from a survival perspective "If you cannot beat them, join them" God Save Us!!!(as if)

The reason why the script ends in "...and too whom am I speaking?" is for one purpose only....CONTROL!!!

I know this may sound aloof as you would expect companies calling you to treat you as the King/Queen, but in certain monopoly industries, it's changed. The client needs me more than I need them.

If I can open a call and say "I am xxx from XXX, who are you?" ...automatically my client is subject to my questioning and authentication. They would need to identify themselves for starters and being the monopoly, clients automatically identify themselves realising thier station in life. It's about having all the power in the world, and using it to bring people to thier knees.

Hence you are spot on - The danger looming here is that the ability to sell will be limited to those with an advertising budget, obviously bigger means more - hence end of small business.

Don't shoot the messenger....
    Last edited by Frankincense; 24-Mar-09 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    The reason why the script ends in "...and too whom am I speaking?" is for one purpose only....CONTROL!!!
    Funny you should mention that. I can testify that my close rate on people who phoned in asking for a quote on a service was much higher when I asked a question or two before giving the price.

Never thought of it as a control issue though - I saw it as opening a dialogue that improved connection and worked on the emotional decision level.

But you might well be right. Strange thing, the human mind.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Never thought of it as a control issue though - I saw it as opening a dialogue that improved connection and worked on the emotional decision level.
    Control is definitely a factor...which is why the warning bells ring and the shields go up for me.
    I don't think it improves connection rather the opposite. Most of these calls are made from lists where where they have your name and know the target market in terms of a small business, private etc. So rather ask to talk to Mr Smith, the owner or just plug away and start the conversation on an even negotiation basis.

For me its like approaching a woman and asking her if she will have sex on our first date. What kind of reaction will one get? Of course there will be the usual 10% hit rate....but surely a better approach would achieve a higher percentage without making your company name mud.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh, when you're canvassing I agree.

In my example I'm talking about when the potential client calls you! Most people will just vomit a figure back.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Oh, when you're canvassing I agree.

In my example I'm talking about when the potential client calls you! Most people will just vomit a figure back.
    Eeuuw Dave!! LOL

Yup, if you ask the client what their main reason for calling is (obviously in many and varied ways) and he replies, using his own words right back at him pretty much secures the sale.

Something like this:
    Dave's client "Hi my name is John, tell me please what you charge for fumigation of a 100m square home in XYZ area"

Dave: "Sure think John can I ask you a few questions? Tks, firstly why are you fumigating? What do you suspect is wrong etc etc."

Once the client answers "Well we are moving house and the buyer insists because we have 13 dogs"

Dave's reply "Okay John- definitely the best thing for you to do is ABC, gets rid of all fleas, the biggest reason people with dogs fumigate, PLUS it is cost effective and you don't have unnecessary expense on a house you won't be living in much longer"

Result? 90% plus will buy!
    Regards

Debbie

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    Eeuuw Dave!! LOL
    Sorry about that

Point is just throwing/spitting/coughing up a price is not particularly attractive.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Just kidding!
    Regards

Debbie

www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.