Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UIF RETURNS

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Our company made use of a payroll service, but I have just found out that they did not do the UIF U-19 forms for the last year.

I am paid up, but wondered if there were penalties and interest payable for being in default with submitting the form.

I know of someone who got behind in her UIF for her domestic and is now too terrified to contact UIF.
    Has anyone in the forum ever heard of the UIF laying charges for non payment, as all I can find on the site is Penalties or Imprisonment or Both.

Yvonne

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you look at how disjointed the data collection is, I struggle to comprehend how UIF keeps track of contributions made on an ongoing basis at the per-individual level.

I suspect the rubber really meets the road when an employee goes seeking their unemployment benefits. At this point DoL is processing a start date, end date and latest salary. That would probably be the time to start sweating as an employer if you haven't been making your payments.

Other than DoL inspectorate checks to see that we're registered, I've never had anyone from DoL dive into the numbers to double check our calculations. I've got a sneaky suspicion the e@syFile system is going to become more intrusive over time, though.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Yvonne (17-Mar-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Can anyone settle an argument for me!

A labor consultant advised that UIF was payable only on the basic salary, or any regular benefit, ie. The total amount which would be taken into account when calculating payment of the person applying and receiving any benefits from UIF.
    Which is not possible for overtime, end of year bonus, birthday bonus etc.
    Which sounds as if this is the way it should be!

But as far as I know and all I seem able to find on the UIF website it that total amount paid to an employee - With the only exception being commission! is the figure to be declared.

Anyone able to confirm the correct total to be declared?
    Ie: Basic, Inclusive of Medical Aid, Plus Taxable Benefit for a Company Vehicle/ or travel allowance, Plus R.A., Plus overtime, plus leave pay, ie ANY Payment made except commission?

Many thanks
    Yvonne
    Last edited by Yvonne; 19-Mar-09 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    What happens if an employee receive commission? Do i submit a form each month?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    As I read it, there is no UIF on commission, unless they are of a regular, fixed nature, so you would not have to submit the UI-19. but you would have to submit the UI-19 for any portion of earnings which are NOT commissions.

I am so hoping that someone who works regularly with payrolls answers this thread!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I did an entry in our Wiki on the UIF levy here which covers inclusions and exclusions. It was a while ago but I'm not aware of any changes to legislation affecting this since.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Yvonne (20-Mar-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave, the Wiki is very clear - I just did not think of checking there!!!
    Apologies - grey hair moment!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't blame you, Yvonne. The Wiki is still rather spartan. I only checked on the off-chance myself as setting up the page was a vague memory.

I need to do some work on the Wiki. We've had so much good information and great leads here that needs to be compiled sooner or later.

Thanks
    hi guys
    i am a brand new member of the forum landed on it by some sheer luck!
    ..and i happen to have this q and all people i askd incl department cant give a straight answer..! i will really appreciate if someone can tell me wht is the threshold amount for UIF?(per month)... and is everybody liable for uif?.. i read somewhere that (it was an old 2007 SARS guideline..that UIF renumeration is the TOTAL RENUMERATION less Exclusions....(is this still the case ?)
    thanks guys

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There hasn't been a change since October 2007 that I'm aware of. The threshold only seems to be changed every couple of years. That said, it means one was due in October 2009 or thereabouts then. Perhaps we'll see a change in threshold soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast