Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what is then that motivates?

Thanks
    Remove negative influences ( people ) .

I am all for automation - it does wonders for motivation.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Motivation? I think companies are stupid when it comes to Motivation.

However let us say that if you perform this year then we will send you for training for free! Thus you get Training, Certification and are eligible for promotion AKA “More Money”. Now that is Motivation!

And the most stupid thing of all it is tax deductible for the company offering it! So... Give that a thought when you think Motivation.

Thanks
    IMO, a key factor when it comes to motivation has to be the different leadership styles. I personally believe that leadership plays a key role in motivating teams.

Further motivation is supposed to be a daily occurrence. A culture of friendliness, respect, intellectual freedom and acceptance are crucial to motivating people.

As an example of how it should not be done, Government are using a century old method of evaluating people for their annual increases, whereby employees have to motivate why they should get ?% annual increase. The way it is conducted de-motivates them instead. This is typical as there are genuine lack of leadership.

A further problem that are demotivating people are issues like:
    • Unclear goals
    • Lack of structure
    • Poor communication
    • Undefined roles

There are more reasons, but at the end of the day it all comes down to poor management and leadership skills.

Money certainly are number 4 or 5 on every person's list of motivators, although most will deny it as they believe money is their main motivator.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don’t believe in management systems. I think it is a waste of time. But I do belief that Training is a good motivator and I will stand by this statement.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by totius54 View Post
    Pat on the back low enough and hard enough

+ GO Tec0 anyone advocating training is my bestest friend!

Very interesting research on different motivation for different generations but right now, I plan to watch SA beat the next team on their way to the 20twenty world cup...so it will have to wait!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I don’t believe in management systems. I think it is a waste of time.
    Interesting statement, care to elaborate?
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well for starters one must look at the function of a manager. They keep books and files and do a bit of planning. But in all they sit around and hoping that people will step out of line so that the manager can fire them. Depending on the business or company the manager is basically a human version of a day-planner and is overvalued. Managers will pride themselves as the cornerstone of the company but it is still the worker in the end of the day that is doing the job. Managers generate paperwork and reports for performance and thus translate hard work into numbers. But again the function of a manager may vary from company to company. Yes they do check for irregularities when it comes to money “maybe!” but accountant software is better at it then what they are.

Now the argument is: if you don’t have managers then the world will fall out of orbit right! Wrong... If a company have proper rules and stipulated timetables that can be computer controlled then why do we need managers in the first place? Look at anyone of their functions and you will find that software and a bit of planning can work even better then to put a manager in place.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    If a company have proper rules and stipulated timetables that can be computer controlled then why do we need managers in the first place? Look at anyone of their functions and you will find that software and a bit of planning can work even better then to put a manager in place.
    Drawing up timetables is a supervisory role, not management.

May I quietly suggest you don't quite get what being a manager is really about. Try reading this discussion on management style.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Dave if I may

But again the function of a manager may vary from company to company.
    A real part of any manager is there decision making ability and to overview the stuff’s responsibilities. This will also include upper staff’s planning and changes. In short the manager is the eyes and ears of the company. They are the buffer between the workforces, accountants and investors. And when things go bad they are the once that gets it.

Now I can continue to point out the deferent aspects of managers and there multiple responsibilities however I will still state that you do not need managers in general because most of the company’s foreman or chief foreman already play that role thus a manager is excessive at best. If anything a manager is there for the aesthetics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12