Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty tactics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dirty tactics

This seems to be quite a lot of dirty tactics in the run-up to this year's elections.

We've got the ANC going to court to stop the IFP from holding election rallies. Maybe that one is over now that the two parties seem to have come to some form of agreement.

We've got disruptions of political meetings and political debates.

The insults have been flying - although some of them have been quite amusing standing on the outside. I guess if they're aimed at you they're not quite so funny.

I hope we get to find out who was behind this stunt before voting day:
    The African National Congress (ANC) on Wednesday denied distributing fake Democratic Alliance (DA) pamphlets in Mpumalanga.

"An investigation into allegations that the ANC was involved in the distribution of fake Democratic Alliance pamphlets in Mpumalanga has proven to the contrary," said the ANC in a statement.

The DA issued a statement last month alleging that Ntombikayise Jeanette Mahlangu, the ANC candidate in the by-elections for Mpumalanga's Ward 4 in the Steve Tshwete Municipality, distributed a pamphlet made to look like it came from the DA.

Written in English and Afrikaans it read: "Help the DA to claim what has been stolen from you. Helen Zille is asking for a few minutes of your time to contribute to change. Now that the ANC has split, we have a real opportunity to get into government in provinces all over South Africa. We can't do it without your help.

"It's a call to every white in South Africa and abroad. If you have a club/society, church or a community organisation, bring them along, we have funds available to finance you so that we together can make it happen.

"So far we've managed to get Cope and Independent Democrats on our side for our usage. What are you waiting for, try by all means to convince your domestic worker to vote for DA. We need everyone on board to stop Jacob Zuma's ANC from getting a two-thirds majority in 2009."

DA spokesperson Anthony Benadie said: "In the pamphlet, the DA is portrayed as a racist party, claiming that the DA wants to bring back the days of 'permits', in order to fight the 'Swart Gevaar'.
    full story from M&G here
    It's genius, really.

Now there is talk of intimidation in one of the latest by-elections.

Yep! Quite a circus this time around. The stakes must be high.

Thanks
    Say a party were actually to do this, what would the consequences be? Can they be removed from the voting ballot?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    I think maybe ANC is feeling the squeeze a bit. They must certainly have in mind that they are hosting and defending some dodgy characters at the moment that wont do there image good with everyone.. some will taking note of there actions... they must know that and feel they cant just sit back relax and wait for the win. A win is worth millions to those at the top... personally
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    Say a party were actually to do this, what would the consequences be? Can they be removed from the voting ballot?
    I think it would be solid grounds, although whether the IEC would have the guts to strike the ANC (if it was indeed the ANC) off the ballot is debatable.

If the DA can find solid proof, it is going to get really interesting. There have been some pretty high profile ANC bods dropping quips about people being Helen Zille's gardener, so it looks like the notion is in the ANC's rhetoric at the moment. This kind of reverse propoganda has come out of the ANC before, although on that occasion it was their internal politics that prompted it.

The Shaik release is also interesting, especially from a timing point of view. I wonder if there were COPE supporters on the parole board

I suppose on the upside it means all the main parties believe it's going to be a contest. Not easy to find the good in this lot, though.

Thanks

Thumbs down Cirque du 'Sa

I think its hilarious... You forgot to post the best part:
    "The pamphlet ends with the words 'Warning: Do not show this pamphlet to your maids and garden boys ... we need their votes,"
    Last edited by Superscenic; 05-Mar-09 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just checking for who is paying attention
    It sounds like an absolutely classic. I'd love to see a copy of it posted in the Friday funnies

Thanks

Fake DA pamphlet

Sorry I cheated and posted it early Posted in Friday funnies Its even better in real life. OMG

I think it is a historic piece. I would bid quite a lot of money for an original pamphlet on ebay!!!! Wait maybe somebody still has some...

Says Rod Mackenzie: "All Helen Zille & Co needed to do was write a refutation of the pamphlet in the Middelburg newspapers and perhaps distribute a pamphlet in the shape of a toilet roll saying “we want to wipe the … um … slate clean” and deflate the “Swart Gevaar” flyer with similar dumbass humour."
    Last edited by Superscenic; 05-Mar-09 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Reading the rest of that article, I think this part worried me the most,

During the ANC's probe, Mahlangu and members of the party's local election team were interviewed. All denied involvement in either production or distribution of the pamphlet.

"They deposed affidavits to that effect."

The party said the outcome of the investigation had been communicated to the DA's national party liaison committee representative, Mike Moriarty, and copied to Independent Electoral Commission chief electoral officer Pansy Tlakula.
    I didn't do it. I am not a crook.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's those affidavits that are going to cause a major embarrassment if the DA can prove Mahlangu and co. were behind the pamphlet.

Thanks
    Sorry guys, the reality is if they are caught, ANC will give them a stern finger shaking, deny any knowledge of it and state they shouldn't have acted on their "own", open an investigation, parden them about ohhh 3 days after the election... everyone moves on They have become masters of deception and cover
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast