Thread: Electric fences

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Electric fences

Hi is there anyone out there who can explain to me how electric fenceing works say from installation to maintainance different systems etc.
    be pleased if someone could enlighten me I like to know how things work
    thanking you all.
    mike.

Thanks
    Well Mike,

I am not an expert but have installed an electric fence around my living complex.

The parts consist basically of the following:

The energizer,
    meters and meters of special braided s/steel wire,
    Insulators
    Steel uprights
    High Tension wire

The normal setup is to have 6 strands mounted via the insulators to the uprights in turn bolted to your wall. ( This can vary )

On the Energizer you have a signal ( High voltage ) terminal, a return terminal and an earth terminal.*

You start at the energizer and feed the wire from the high voltage terminal first via some HT insulated wire to the first post closest to the energizer to the 5 th insulator ( from the bottom ) and all the way around the property, make a return via the 2 nd insulator back to the energizer also using HT wire to connect to the return. Do not cut the wire when you do the turnabout at the furthest point. You now have a continuous wire from high voltage to return on the energizer.
    Similarly you feed another set of wires to the top insulator and return via the 4 th insulator and again via the bottom insulator and return via the 3 rd one.
    You now have 4 wires hanging loose at the energizer which you connect to the earth terminal PLUS you have to drive an earth spike into the ground close to the energizer and run an earth wire to the same terminal as the other 4 wires. Make sure you also use HT wire to run from the fence down to the energizer. The wire for the earth spike can be normal copper earth wire.

The principal is that you now have two closed loops of high voltage and earth running right around the property. Should the perpetrator now try to climb over the fence he is facing around 8000 volt pulsing current on 2 nd and 5 th wires !
    Should the high voltage and earth be shorted for about 2 to 3 seconds the alarm will sound.
    The purpose of the high voltage and return terminals on the energizer is to sense if a wire is being cut, or shorted which will also set off the alarm

*There is actually a fourth terminal on the energizer which is also a "return " for the earth strands but normally does not get used and just shorted out to the other earth terminal.

This in short ? is what I did and has been working for 7 years.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

3. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (11-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Hi Mike,

Just a re-configuration of the current feed and return that will work better:

Take the high voltage wire from the energizer and string via the top row of insulators, at the far end return via the 4 th row ( from the top ) of insulators, at the begin side loop to the 3 rd row and string to the far end and return via the bottom row and connect to "return" of energizer. Now, string the earth wire from "earth" connector on the energizer via the 5 th row to the far end and return via the second row and connect to the "earth return" connector.
    The above in effect then gives you high voltage on bottom wire, third wire, fourth wire and top wire with earth wire on second and 5 th wire with both conductors in closed loops which will sound the alarm if any wire is cut or shorted.

This I think is a better stringing method than the first one.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

5. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (11-Mar-09)