Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The faithful Notebook

Suspended
    Thanks

Thumbs up The faithful Notebook

The faithful Notebook we older IT dudes call them laptops but yes these little pieces of kit makes the modern world go around. And it is true that without these little slabs of technology modern business would be impossible.

Sadly the large overbearing bloodsucking mega profit orientated companies tainted the virtues notebooks and made them profits of promotional trial ware. Yes you are right if you assumed that I am talking about trial-ware-software. Like the human immunodeficiency virus trial-ware-software is all over your little notebook and is ticking down there 30 day and 60 day trial-period and then they strike!

Your little notebook will never be the same. Yes those nasty pop-ups of “your software has expired” Now I came to write about this because I find that my day consist of removing every single piece of software from a notebook and then have to spend days on the internet to get software that is completely free or I go to the shop and find what things cost and just load the originals. Preferably software that does not need online activation because as we know internet in South Africa is expensive!

So I am going to give you some pointers on what to ask:

Is the OS legal “operating system”
    Is the OS activated “if needed?”
    Is the Antivirus freeware, trial or full version
    Is the firewall freeware, trial or full version
    Is the burning software freeware, trial or full version
    Do I need to create Restore disks! “Important”

Now any IT technician will tell you that there is much more you can ask but again! This is the basic questions honestly not even basic but more entry level questions. Yet these questions if remained unasked can cost you a lot of money. An OS can go for R1000 up to R5000 depending on the type of OS.

The same with Office software and the CD-DVD burning software can also become expensive. So if you where to get yourself a nice new notebook I recommend you budged for some software as well. So phone them and ask what the prices are! Talk to them but don’t ask for a quotation! No!!!! First ask if the quotation will cost you a penalty if you decide not to take it!!!!!!!!!!!! Then you ask for a quotation.

Thanks for reading.

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (03-Mar-09), Graeme (03-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's such a cool post. Thanks Insulin.

But in truth, is this trial period software bundle issue just on laptops? I tend to find similar problems with off-the-shelf PC's too.

I'd also be curious as to what the more advanced issues are to your mind, when you've got a moment to expand on that.

Suspended
    Thanks

Talking Yes desktops are Victims to Trial-ware-software!!!!

Desktop Computers are victim to this however normally a desktop computer doesn’t go out of the office to an important meeting. Notebooks on the other hand really are a tool that introduces your company to other companies. It is when trial-ware-software becomes a real problem because stuff like your burning software might just stop working when you needed most.

Then there are the nasty “register now!” messages that come up while you are trying to run a slideshow or program. Notebooks I find to be very unforgiving animals when something just forces itself to appear on the screen. Normally the notebook will freeze and then you need to restart while ten or more people are staring at you.

Now I did mention that there is more to just those questions that I pointed out before. Here are more things you can ask for:

First off insist that the Recovery Program be explained to you in detail. “This can only benefit you.” (Only applicable if recovery software is being used)

Demand a list of compatible hardware like CPU types and Memory Types. This will help with upgrading.
    (This will identify make and model type and will help you to shop around when you need to.)
    (It will also tell you if your computer or notebook is outdated with old technology or not.)

Demand to be shown in detail what software is trial-ware-software and ask for alternatives.
    (Always a must when it comes to notebooks and desktops systems)

Shop around for cheap alternatives to the trial-ware-software.
    (Most office software is expensive but there are cheap alternatives that is just as effective)

For notebooks and desktops: ASK what CAN be upgraded on your system.
    (Strange enough there are notebooks that allow for graphic upgrading this is a rarity)
    (Ask for availability of parts when it comes to upgrading. This will also indicate if your system is new or not)

There is a lot more things but it gets a bit technical from this point like: USB speeds motherboard chipset drivers and soundcard chipset and if the video memory is shared with the Ram or dedicated video ram “applicable for notebooks and yes SOME desktop systems” But I am concentrating on the notebook.

These questions will help you make an informed decision so it is worth doing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    The faithful Notebook we older IT dudes call them laptops but yes these little pieces of kit makes the modern world go around. And it is true that without these little slabs of technology modern business would be impossible.

Sadly the large overbearing bloodsucking mega profit orientated companies tainted the virtues notebooks and made them profits of promotional trial ware. Yes you are right if you assumed that I am talking about trial-ware-software. Like the human immunodeficiency virus trial-ware-software is all over your little notebook and is ticking down there 30 day and 60 day trial-period and then they strike!

Your little notebook will never be the same. Yes those nasty pop-ups of “your software has expired” Now I came to write about this because I find that my day consist of removing every single piece of software from a notebook and then have to spend days on the internet to get software that is completely free or I go to the shop and find what things cost and just load the originals. Preferably software that does not need online activation because as we know internet in South Africa is expensive!

So I am going to give you some pointers on what to ask:

Is the OS legal “operating system”
    Is the OS activated “if needed?”
    Is the Antivirus freeware, trial or full version
    Is the firewall freeware, trial or full version
    Is the burning software freeware, trial or full version
    Do I need to create Restore disks! “Important”

Now any IT technician will tell you that there is much more you can ask but again! This is the basic questions honestly not even basic but more entry level questions. Yet these questions if remained unasked can cost you a lot of money. An OS can go for R1000 up to R5000 depending on the type of OS.

The same with Office software and the CD-DVD burning software can also become expensive. So if you where to get yourself a nice new notebook I recommend you budged for some software as well. So phone them and ask what the prices are! Talk to them but don’t ask for a quotation! No!!!! First ask if the quotation will cost you a penalty if you decide not to take it!!!!!!!!!!!! Then you ask for a quotation.

Thanks for reading.
    another one that should be asked. Are the "restore discs" on original discs or DVDs?

you may question why I ask this, but it's because a number of laptop manufacturers have cottoned onto the idea of making a "recovery partition" on YOUR hard drive (reducing space) and putting either an ISO file or the necessary files to restore (or re-install) your OS.

Suspended
    Thanks

Wink As usual you are correct.

Ever wondered why that is that notebooks especially have the recovery partition and that you have to make your own disk and stuff? Here is the story.

The truth is you can recover your notebook in moments without having any kind of disk with you. This allows the user to recover the system without IT support. The disks are only there if the drive crashes and you need to install a new one. But what happened to original OS disks and driver disks.

Well apparently it is not a functional solution because it takes longer for the user to reinstall the system using an OS disk and driver thus the restore disk was born. It is faster or so I am told.

I think it is a good point because YES people do misplace there disk allot. And yes these disks to get scratched and becomes unusable... With restore disks you can make a set or two and always have some kind of backup. This is true however the newer recovery system only allows for a single set of disks to be made! However I think you can restore the system and make a new set after each restore session. It works with some systems but not all of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My main concern with the partition system is what happens when the problem is the hard drive. Now you need to get a new hard drive and the OS disks.

Suspended
    Thanks

Cool Yes the so called clean install.

The clean install is really not that bad. I think that most people are just lazy or not creative enough. Most companies will ship you an install disk if you asked very nicely. However there are a few tricks. One of the tricks I use is make restore disks and then restore the system with the restore program on the computer and then make a second set of disks. If your restore manager allows create multiple disk then you don’t have to follow the long way around and restore your system before you can create a second set.

There are also many programs that allow you to make an image from your hard-drive and back it up to a 32 GB USB flash drive or an external hard-drive. The extreme will be to strip your hard-drive slave it and plug it into another system and create your image from there. Just please do a virus scan before the time! A tainted image is no good to anyone!

Once you have an Image of your system you can restore is effectively every time without much trouble at all. Really most image files are something like two DVD’s big so you can even write the image to disk. The point I am trying to make is that you can restore your system.

The unorthodox way is to get someone with an Original OS disk that is similar to the operating system you used to have on your computer. Let’s say Vista basic OS disk because your computer or notebook was originally installed with this software. Now you can use this disk and just use your license that is underneath your notebook or normally on the side of your desktop system. This is an original license so you can activate it with no trouble to you at all. You are only using the install files from the borrowed disk and not it’s licence thus the license is still your property!

These codes will normally work but you do get it from time to time that the codes are not compatible then you are basically screwed and you will have to invest in an original OS disk with a new licence. Needles to say this is costly! Lastly you can always get the drivers from the supplier’s website and or compatible drivers are always available on the net. Trust me I have rebuilt an old P1 for the fun of it and was still able to get the drivers.

Thanks
    Install Linux, problem solved
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks
    Not really... Please don’t misunderstand me it is a good OS. However there are incompatibilities when it comes to particular types of software that was designed with a MS only platform. I myself use a virtual MS platform on my Linux system. My virtual MS platform runs from a 120 GB external hard drive thus it’s effectively backed up all the time and will take only a few minutes to reconfigure any computer to run my virtual MS platform. You can do the same with just MS with virtual computer software. This means you have a virtual computer on your real computer that functions like the real thing but it exist only on a hard drive. Virtual computer software is nice when you understand it and use it correctly. also you can back it up to DVD and restore it to a real computer by just doing a driver update. It is really cool stuff.

Thanks
    I will also mention that linux is a dud without an internet connection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast