Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The faithful Notebook

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes it is... however that is slowly changing more and more hardware is being recognized by Linux and more and more drivers are both Linux and MS compatible so it is getting better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    I will also mention that linux is a dud without an internet connection.
    uhm, no
    Linux doesn't need internet to work, Windows on the other hand does, especially if the updates are outdated and the virus scanner needs updates.

My argument is this:

With Linux you don't need to worry about:

• Is it a Legal OS?
    • Does it have a virus scanner?
    • Is the firewall up to date?
    • Is my data secure?
    • etc, etc, etc.

For the average business person who needs internet, email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, printing, etc, Linux makes a lot of sense. If you pay R7K for a laptop, another R300 for Anti-virus, and another R4k for office, then you'll quickly see how it all add up. Sure, "money is no problem", but the moment it, piracy becomes a reality and businesses face worse penalties through audits than through ego. Don't get me wrong, Windows has it's place, and it's a good OS, but in light of the original post about the problem involved with the OS, one sometimes needs to drop ego and think about the best tool for the job.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks
    It is a good business tool and a lot of businesses are using Linux. I know of 8 that do use it full time with no acceptation and it is cheaper. I know I build the file server it was easy really but I am not a Linux expert and I promise you now if it wasn’t for Google that sever would have been a big paper weight and I would have been fired. So what about Linux training ? Really I am a MS monk so is there places I can get a bit of training in Linux. I can do the basics like network setup backup systems and all that but I am sure there more to Linux then just that?

Thanks
    There are plenty linux courses and training centres around, and if you're looking for an internationally recognised certification (similar to MCSE, MCSA, CCNP, CCNA, etc), then the Redhat, Suse Novell & Ubuntu certifications will give you what you need (and more )

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (24-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    uhm, no
    Linux doesn't need internet to work, Windows on the other hand does, especially if the updates are outdated and the virus scanner needs updates.
    uhm, it's entire lifeline is on the internet. find a store that sells linux compatible software. I haven't seen one. find a store that sells windows compatible software. everywhere.

I'm not talking about needing internet "to work." any OS that needs an internet connection "to work" is part of cloud computing, and that's still a fuzzy area (especially in SA). I'm talking about in terms of getting useful software for a specific need. WINE to run .exe files, that sort of stuff. unless you sit and waste your time mailing off to get hard copies, you're going to find what you need through the internet. anything you want for linux can be found through app-get (using my experience with kubuntu). the only thing I haven't found out is how to get it running games, and that doesn't look like it will happen too soon.

Thanks
    well, if I can download my free software from the internet, instead of driving to the shop to purchase it, then I would still rather use Linux. If I don't like the included software on my DVD ( and everything you'll need is included in most distro's DVD) then you can (but don't have to) download a different free program on the internet that already does the same.

Most full distro's (i.e. Fedora Core, OpenSuse, Mandriva, etc) has Open Office, Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, etc included as a standard. You really, really, don't need internet for Linux. And most of the laptops I've seen in the shops have a ready to use OS + Office + Internet + Email setup, no need to purchase a R4K office license after your 60 day trail is over. Nor do you need to drive to the shop to get anything else. If you want to, then you still can.

BUT, in your argument, and IMO, it's cheaper to download it from the net than to drive to the shop

Suspended
    Thanks
    The truth of the matter is that Linux needs a solid hard-copy backbone like MS. And it is a pity to say it but it needs an MS runtime environment as standard... this will allow your existing software to work with Linux without problems and perhaps play a game or two. But again Linux is a business tool so I don’t think that lack of game play is really a bad thing. And I will give it to Linux it is stable...

Thanks
    Oh with games, if you're trying to run commercial games, then you can use Cadega to run them. And, if you need a more feature packed distro, try Fedora Core or OpenSuse.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    There are plenty linux courses and training centres around, and if you're looking for an internationally recognised certification (similar to MCSE, MCSA, CCNP, CCNA, etc), then the Redhat, Suse Novell & Ubuntu certifications will give you what you need (and more )
    What is the cost I am really interested. Please I do want to do Linux it is a good OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    The truth of the matter is that Linux needs a solid hard-copy backbone like MS. And it is a pity to say it but it needs an MS runtime environment as standard... this will allow your existing software to work with Linux without problems and perhaps play a game or two. But again Linux is a business tool so I don’t think that lack of game play is really a bad thing. And I will give it to Linux it is stable...
    Linux doesn't need anything, especially not MS. What you're saying is very far from the truth and a misconception M$ likes to tell the masses as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast