hi all,
I'm looking at writing a point of sales system for a small to medium sized business (like most computer parts stores) that will be running off of a computer with either windows XP or windows vista (and eventually windows 7, once it comes out). it will use a standard barcode reader, and should allow for different barcode formats. I've got an idea of what I should be looking for in terms of design and functionality, I just want to run it past everyone and maybe get some feedback, and a gentle steer in the right direction

The program is going to run through 2 possible databases, namely Microsoft access and Microsoft SQL server express, naturally for cost reducing reasons (and they both use SQL query language ^^). The possibility of a mysql version is within reach, just have to get used to the syntax changes, and get used to installing it.

The program will be pretty generic, but will be written with the intention of being able to modify it towards a specific company's system goals, but for the moment, keeping it towards a generic (yet powerful) system.

the system is structured and seperated into 5 "Segments", namely STOCK, FRONT/TILL, SERVICING, CONFIGURATION and REPORTS.

here are some of my current ideas under each section:

STOCK(add, modify, delete, scan "would you like to add it?")
DETAILS
stock must be shown in an easy to read grid.
grid must be able to be seperated by a product type.
order by dropdown.
Add as a button.
modify as a button choice on the grid.
delete must also be a choice on the grid.
on main page, must have button for "scan". when barcode scanned must find that item. if not found, "would you like to add it?"

FRONT/TILL(invoice, barcode system, screens, orders, quote, discount)
DETAILS
quote button. invoice button.
invoice to include company details, company logo, and possibly disclaimer.
invoice to use a barcode system for easy referencing. (barcode printed on invoice that can be scanned at a service point at a later stage)
invoice should show discount when applicable.
normal running, order is placed when invoice is completed, paid = y. BUT when quote, order is inserted but paid = n.
when clicked quote button, must bring up entry text box for identifying person/company for quote.
cost of item and vat.
screen should be a grid, as each item is scanned, it finds it in the db, and places a respective object in the grid.
should allow manual entry of number.
must allow for searching of quotes via quote barcode/quote number/customer name.
a completed order (when invoice button clicked) should remove from stock.

SERVICING(returns, repairs, replacements)
DETAILS
barcode is scanned.
3 buttons appear: return, repair, replace.
return needs a reason, within x days, product not damaged, in original packaging, proof of purchase, current date, contact no, contact person.
repair needs a description of fault, service slip, proof of payment if under warranty, contact no, contact person, current date.
replacement needs a reason, proof of purchase, contact no, contact person, current date.

CONFIG( system modifications eg barcode types)(any other reports, can be done for a nominal fee)
DETAILS
system variables (eg 7 or 14 day period for returns)
barcode selection system.

REPORTS(daily sales reports, weekly sales reports, monthly sales reports)
DETAILS
reports for daily, weekly and monthly sales.

I know I'm missing a fair amount in terms of how it's going to look, but yeah, if you have an interesting idea for a feature, please feel free to leave a comment or email me.

I don't expect to get cracking on this straight away, with studies and work taking up a large segment of my time, but I do wish to make it. who knows, when I need guinea pigs, I mean testers , I could upload the files.