Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green power

Thanks
    yeah, my take on the whole matter is that anything we do, we are going to affect the earth some way or another. I don't know if anyone has seen that one short on discovery channel about the mirrors pointing towards a centre pillar with a solar panel. the heat that creates must be intense! wouldn't that cause some sort of reduction in water vapour in the air? what happens if a bird casually tries to land there?

and with the turbines, it does have the ability to trim down local bird populations, as superscenic points out.

I do see the point in green technologies, I just also feel that there is an almost "no consequences" mentality about them. there are consequences, just not on the scale of fossil fuel plants and the likes.

Thanks
    Off the Eastern Cape Coast near East London we have a Continental Shelf that stretches a few Kilometers out to sea before it falls to the depths.
    This Shelf is swept by a strong coastal current 24/7/365
    There is a proposition to situate any number of submarine generators as is necessary to run the electricity needs of the country.
    This would be green, sustainable, cheap to install, run and maintain.

The objections by Politicians is, 'What is in it for me?'

Perhaps the answer to our energy needs is a new Government?

Thanks
    Wynn, do you know who the people are making that proposal?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Suspended
    Thanks

Arrow The power!!

One needs to be open-minded and unfortunately government is a monitory system designed to keep the money slave inline. The truth is electronics is at a point where it needs little power to function. There are other ways to generate power other then wind and sun power. There is a system today that allow us to harness the power of rising hot air! So the truth is industry needs us to be dependent on antiquated technology because industry needs you the money slave to PAY them money. I recommend you open your eyes and see that government do NOT control anything. Industry controls everything!

There is no grater fool then a working man thinking that he is free for we are all slaves to the system.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post
    There is a system today that allow us to harness the power of rising hot air!
    I suggest we install a unit over parliament.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I suggest we install a unit over parliament.
    Could be dangerous...Let's look at the properties of the hot air over parliament:

Hot air rising from parliament might smell suspiciously similar to the Methane rising from a pig farm. Often it smells like a rat. It is also highly flammable and extremely volatile, often reinventing itself radically between observations. It is also incredibly dense and subject to long periods of inactivity and inertia.

This hot air is deceptive in nature and mimics the properties of substances completely opposite in design and makeup.

When attempting to contain the substance within a workable environment it reacts with bizarre displays that defy reason and the very laws of science.

Otherwise it only responds to large amounts of gold which rapidly disappears leaving only useless residues.

It constantly tries to transform into an even more hazardous form.

Observers agree that the hot air multiplies when being scrutinized. Clouds of the stuff peak to dangerous levels just before election time then dissipates completely before building up again .

Sounds utterly useless to me.
    Mmm...could it be that we've stumbled upon the real cause of global warming?
    Last edited by Superscenic; 04-Mar-09 at 06:03 PM.

7. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (05-Mar-09), Graeme (06-Mar-09)

Thanks
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thats pretty good!

Incase you don;t know what a vertical turbine looks like, as i didn't this is it:
    http:
    From http://www.reuk.co.uk/Vertical-Wind-...tor-Blades.htm

These also interested me:
    Mag-Wind Vertical Axis Turbine for your Home
    world's largest wind turbine generator

Last edited by 3x-a-d3-u5; 05-Mar-09 at 09:38 PM. Reason: found cool info
    once there was a man. the end.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Superscenic (06-Mar-09)

Suspended
    Thanks

Post Think about this for just a moment.

Development of these technologies is important because look at the mining industry they are scarring the face of South Africa! They are hurting us!!!! Our health! Yet they are paying us money! MONEY and yes more MONEY! Because pieces of paper can fix anything right! Well you are in for a nasty surprise because our air is becoming unfit to breath! Our food is becoming unfit to eat! And yet we allow them to feed us these poisons because we need the MONEY!!!!

The truth is we don’t need it. We as a human race must turn to industry and say NO! No more! Can we? No because we will lose our jobs... What if I am to tell you that we don’t need money? That we have the knowhow and technology to supply the world! With food, fuel, power. All this with minimum effort.

We can make synthetic materials things that will last forever! Industry didn’t like this at all so they made it expensive! Truth is people... we are allowing them to put a price-tag on our lives... Our children’s lives.

We have been slaves for so long now we don’t know what it is to be free... Why because everything is owned by someone. Government is a tool used by Industry... You think you are free! Quit your job and see how everyone will come and take everything you have away from you. The system is designed this way... So my fellow slaves work and urn a living but remember this: life is a gift as is freedom.

Green power is no longer a dream; Technology is no longer our enemy. But until we free ourselves from financial law... these technologies will become just another echo, another slideshow to show our children...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's an interesting story on green power.
    Green lobbyists fear that draft regulations on electricity generation, released by government in January, may undermine investment into renewable energy.

The regulations promote competitive pricing and appear to conflict with an initiative by Nersa, the energy regulator, to set up preferential tariffs to promote new, clean energy technologies.

The Department of Minerals and Energy draft regulations are intended to facilitate independent power producers. But environmentalists and energy analysts say the department will scare away investors.
    full story from M&G here
    It seems to be the usual problem, the structure of the regulation lends itself to unintended consequences.
    Richard Worthington, WWF's climate change programme manager, appealed to the department to withdraw the regulations because they were not compatible with the government's commitment, as outlined by Sonjica.

"Competitive bidding to initiate renewable energy development and deployment has a terrible international track record, while feed-in tariffs has a strong one," he said.
    Of course, not everyone believes the consequences will be unintended.
    The national regulator will have to oversee both the new regulations as well as feed-in tariffs, which Rabinowitz believes will be a huge challenge for the regulator.

The history of the energy tendering process worldwide has shown it to be unreliable in ensuring quality and cost, while feed-in tariffs are objective and place the onus on the renewable energy producer to roll out a successful technology. "One cannot help wondering who is waiting to profit from contracts, with no concern for the impact on the public, the country, job creation in South Africa or the state of the globe, but with lots of interest in personal pockets preparing to bulge," she said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast